not really sure what your wanting to know here peter.
clamav on linux is not the same program as clamav on windows, they are 2 totally different programs even if they both do use the same malware definitions or whatever to identify malware.
far as i'm aware the linux version of clamav doesn't even do real time protection which the windows version does seem to.
so no idea what you think you may be able to do with the zorin pen drive and it's clamav when using your win 8.1 os but if you want to know if you can use clamav to scan your hard drive for malware when running zorin from the pen drive then the answer is yes.
as to your win 8.1 os you only need 1 real time anti virus software running, so it's up to you what that is.
from the sounds of it you have 3 installed to choose from mbam, defender or clamav.
personally i'd stick with defender unless mbam is the full paid for version that offers real time anti virus and not just a trial of the full version then i'd stick with that and not either defender or clamav.
so in answer to that question yes you can disable real time protection of both clamav and defender on your win 8.1 os just as long as you do have another real time anti virus program running.
spywareblaster isn't an antivrus program, so doesn't come into the equation of which single real time anti-virus software you should run.
hope that answers your query anyway, even if i'm not 100% sure it does.
You answered well considering how the question was posed.
I wanted to know if Clam a/v for Windows was compatible with 8.1 as I could not find that.
I ran Clam in my pen drive and it found 15 threats which I quarantined in the pen drive. I tried to examine them and even tried to submit for analysis but I was not successful so I removed the threats as they seemed to be in the Linux vernacular, hoping it would not affect my 8.1.
I will keep my current configuration and I do only have one real time protection. I was enticed by Clam at first but have reconsidered and am content with my current combination.
Malwarbytes Pro. ia not an Anti-virus program per se, but a real-time malicious URL blocker and against other differing threats which AV's (mostly) doen't do so well. However, it is designed to work alongside most anti-virus programs as a second line of defence. It works well with Avast pro anyway :-)
from their website:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.
no idea if it works on win 8.1 peter, like you i can only find where it says clamav works with windows os up to version win 7, it probably does but just hasn't been tested yet with newer windows operating systems like win 8/8.1
be very careful using clamav in zorin to scan your windows partition because in the past i have heard of cases where it has flagged files as malware and quarantined them causing the windows os to stop working because they were needed windows os files and not true malware, not sure if this is still a problem or not, been a very very long time since i've really looked into any anti-virus software but something you should be made aware of anyway.
what i'd recommend is to just use the linux clamav to check any files downloaded onto the linux os/drive/partition before passing them to where a windows os will then use them. this is what it was originally created for i believe and not to actually scan a full windows install just single files to make sure they were malware free before a windows os got access to and opened the file.
stick to using any anti-virus software running on a windows os to actually scan that os and it's hard drive for malware that way you are less likely that the software will delete/quarantine any needed windows files.
hope that made sense.
that's good to know lee, i always thought the full version was an anti-virus solution too, never having used or tested it myself, i didn't know that even with that version they recommend running another anti-virus software.
Bogus info, wrong AV program. See Terry's post next.
Found this on the Clamwin AV site: ClamWinFree Antivirus is based on ClamAV engine
ClamWin is a Free Antivirus program for Microsoft Windows 8/ 7 / Vista / XP / Me / 2000 / 98 and Windows Server 2012, 2008 and 2003.
Also this:
Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.
clamwin is not the same program as clamav, ztrucker even tho it is based on clamav. (made the same mistake myself when i first replied to peter and needed to make a quick edit. )
I've used ClamWin on many weak XP computers but ClamAV looks a whole lot better. I'll have to try it and see how it impacts performance on weak systems.
It doesn't mention Windows 8 at all but I believe it would run okay. I'll try it in a VM one of these days.
yes let us know your results, no idea how good/bad an av it actually is myself, not had reason to actually go study up on av's for such a long time, i didn't know clamav actually made a version for windows now and thought it was clamwin peter was talking about at first too.
should be quite good seeing how it uses bitdefender according to this report on current av real world protection results. :-
Got bored plus I wanted to check out the new VLK Windows 8.1 Pro I now have access to for our 501 ( c )( 3 ) organization, so I installed it in a Oracle VM.
I am glad you pointed out the dangers of the scan.
I saw only Linux looking files that were detected, not widows types.
In the future I will run MBAM + a/v when I close the pen drive not within it.
I hope all my files are intact. I will run sfc for the windows ones anyway.
I am glad Clam got some dialogue going; besides it is interesting.
I did notice the two; Windows and Linux but never saw that 8.1 was covered.
I will read the thread but keep my set up.
I love Zorin and it runs well on only 16 GB althopugh it needs a bit of time due to its running off limited ram.
I found a 767 MB file when I clicked C: and see - slackosave2sf - standing alone among the other icons. I placed a 9 after it - slackosave2sf9 - a week ago as Rich taught me and will remove it in another couple of weeks if I have no trouble.
I think it is from the Puppy Linux experiment. The persistence for Zorin is on the pen drive. Zorin is very much like Win 7 and is laid out well - if I can use it anyone can. The printer was challenging but it worked out and it even has a firewall, a simplistic one.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI