Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

slakosave.2fs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

I was looking through my files for something and came across this file. It is 768 MB in space.

I have Zorin on a pen drive which I don't need. I don't know if these two are related.

Can I just delete the file or will I be doing damage to good files.

It does not give a file path but it appeared under under C:\\ when I clicked C:\\.

If I use the pen drive will this be recreated?

Thank you

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

yes i'd say it's safe to remove, i think it's for slacko puppy and is it's linux persistent file system, but am not 100% sure.

in cases like this always rename the file, then if something stops working you can just rename it back or if you find everything still works just fine then you know it's safe to delete.

so in this case rename it to "old-slackosave.2fs" and then in a couple of days you will know if it's ok to delete.

:popcorn:

seems you like to cover all the bases. :rofl:

http://www.linux.org...-save-2fs.6075/

http://murga-linux.c...a0b9f122b09cb96

i think it's frowned on usually tho to post the same question on lots of forums.

personally i don't see a problem unless it's in a windows malware forum where you'd be taking up the much more valuable time of the very few malware fighting experts. ;)

Edited by terry1966, 04 June 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

First, thank you for the renaming - Rich taught me that and I put a 9 after the file already. I'll keep and eye on it and rename it later if all is ok. I guess Zorin has a file like it somewhere as I allowed persistence for it too.. I wish I knew where so I could do the same thing. I no longer use the Zorin stick. Any idea where I could find it or how?

Second, he also taught me not to tie up forums with the same query for which I apologize. I don't make it a habit but the 767 MB got the blood stirring.

I think it is good to get more then one opinion as my wanderings over the years has shown. I have been misled only to be properly directed.

peace

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

if you've already renamed the file by adding a 9 to it, you don't need to rename it again.

once it's renamed any program that used the file can't find it any more to use it, so that's why we say rename a file and see what happens if nothing stops working then the file is usually safe to remove.

i'd guess zorin has the persistent file system on the usb stick itself, and the only reason you have the slacko file is probably because you were using a puppy cd and asked it to save, so it saved onto your pc's hard drive.

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

From my roamings the consensus is what you are telling me. I will not be roaming and thanks again.

I have renamed the file and will cheek in a week.

I am not concerned about the Zorin as I believe it is i the stick, also I think it is as good if not better than Win 7,8 and 8.1..

Linux would be fun if we were groomed in it. It is so hard to remember all the sudo apt or whatever but you can have fun when you get it.

It was suggested to me to open hidden files and then open C: and take a screen shot so I can tell in the future what/where has changed regarding persistence as in the case of Puppy.

#6 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

only thing to remember is always read what is in front of you, nothing gets saved to your pc's hard drive without you first telling it to do so when using linux live cd's. so it would have asked if you wanted to save and told you where it was going to make the save before you clicked yes or no. ;)

roam all you like it doesn't bother me, especially when they agree with me. :D

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

I do remember being asked about the hard drive and will keep that in mind. When I am doing something new I tend to get anxious to the point where I should slow down and read directions better.

In a while I will remove it if it is ok and then be more vigilant.

Roaming has its up and downs. It is true you are consuming others time and it appears redundant.

On the other hand, I usually get varying opinions and usually can tell which is valid.

The discussions are also interesting for both  the person asking and the person answering. I have spoken with some mods etc. who actually encourage and like the interaction. You can tell by dates that some forums are not doing much while others are very busy.

I have noticed that noyt many are investing in 8.1.

Forums go as high as 8 although they are willing to discuss 8.1.

It is possible 8 and 8.1 will be the shortest lived os's in history and companies know it. I cannot understand it as I find 8.1 o b the best since I began in xp days. I never had a problem with it and it is fast and can do most anything quite well. Updating drivers solved any issues I had and that only makes sense.

I have it on my laptop an desktop which came with 7. When I image back to 7 I feel like I went back 20 years in technology.

I am a veritable amateur and am having success with both, with the help of forums like this, yet I read about so many issues and negative comments. I bought these pcs with hardware to update and I think some folks wanted a to install 8.1 where it will not work well and blame the OS.. If Windows had "fixed" the refresh/reset with 8.1 they would have done their job completely. I can image to 8 but the regression is obvious and it is not worth it to refresh or reset. However, it would be nice to have that ability in 8.1. M$ should have simply offered a 8.1 disc patch for $10 or patched with an update and kept everyone happy.

I would give anything if I had been raised in the Linux vernacular so I could use different flavors or distros ably. However, Linux cannot be run on intuition - you have to know what to type. I have praised Zorin and although it is like Windows, it still requires Linux knowledge to optimize the OS.

It is too late and not practical now for me to learn Linux well, so I dabblel with it. I hope Win 9 is very much like 8.1 but with the refresh/rest and a few other issues worked out.

Edited by Peter1, 05 June 2014 - 07:46 AM.