Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

MBAM [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

When a PUP is detected and quarantined, how do you know if it should be deleted or kept in quarantine? They usually say we have no information about it.

I notice MSE in Win 11 that was touted is failing but there is a place to tick where it will report back about a detection.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts
  • Interests:LFC, music, more LFC, more music

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:23 AM

Read this. It will explain more about PUPs.

Mbam does not automatically quarantine PUPs although Malwarebytes Anti-Malware recently adopted a more stringent policy towards these sorts of detections: Malwarebytes Adopts Aggressive PUP Policy

and PUP.Optional listings and disputes.

I hope this helped.

Satchfan

NINA - Proud graduate of the WTT Classroom

Member of UNITE

The help you receive here is free but if you feel I have helped, you may consider making a Donation.

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

I am using build 2.0.1.1004 and contrary to what MBAM says in your link about PUPS, which it is 'show in results but don't check for removal', my default says 'treat detections as malware'.

I have tread your referral and thank you. I will read them again but I still do not know what to remove or not, at this point. When I see a detection I do not know how one can know if it should be removed or not.

#4 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:41 AM

If you recognise the "PUP" and want to keep it then do so. Otherwise I would trust Mbam to quarantine/delete all that it suggests.

Member of UNITE

The help you receive here is free but if you feel I have helped, you may consider making a Donation.

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

Actually, I joined the MBAM forum and they offer good advice for MBAM, only.

I can send attachments to them if in doubt.

There is a small white triangle  in Defender where you can also send items that you are not sure of.

I throw the dice with SpywareBlaster hoping it does not install or remove the wrong item as it is after the fact seeing it runs as you surf.

So, I think I am comfortable that I am doing all I can do run the machine properly especially behind a firewall and router.

The default for rootkits is not checked so it is likely Beta and I will wait on it.

Thank you for your advice.

Edited by Peter1, 01 June 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#6 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

Glad you got it sorted.

I'll close this now.

Regars

Satchfan

Member of UNITE

#7 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.

Member of UNITE