This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

"host process for Windows tasks"

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Dell Inspiron N5010, Upgrade from 7 to Win 8.1 x 64, 6 GB ram

Because I have had a heating issue and a fan running more, I looked at my task manager and found that "host process for Windows tasks" was using the highest cpu and at times the only cpu usage.

Also, I have two of those terms "host process for Windows tasks"in task manager but only one in my desktop.


So I have 3 questions;
1- does this process running higher than any other tell you anything?
2- why is one of the duplicate entries the only one consuming resources of all the entries?
3- why are there 2 similar entries in the laptop and only one in the desktop?

Thank you

 

PS Before I disassembly, I would like to see if there is a software cause.

I made an error. I checked my desktop again and it too had two of these host process for Windows tasks in it also. So that eliminates a cause.

  

It does not tell what it is when it is high and the fan is racing, or what is running, It just says host process for Windows tasks with a number which is higher than the rest.

 

I really externally cleaned the pc and it has since been running cooler.

Once this happens you are always over listening so I cannot tell if it is inordinate.

I have scanned thoroughly with both MBAM and SAS and have done the usual maintenance.

 

Most likely some good came from the exterior cleaning and after 3 years on my wife's lap it could use a cleaning and some Arctic Silver.

 

I have never done this interior work but have a good video of the Inspiron N5010 and feel I could do it.

However, I will wait a bit before trying.

 

Would there be anything else to do software wise before disassembly?

With a good external cleaning and the power management lowed to 99% from 100% the laptop runs like new.

I know this is considered a temporary fix but I think no harm is done and if it runs hot or fast again, I will get out the Arctic Silver.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI