This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

wgatray.exe maybe causing problem

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I just installed an additional 1 GB DIMM in a computer to bring it up to 1.5 GB of total RAM. When I rebooted and logged in as a limited user, Task Manager showed 100% CPU usage, spread over a few different processes (e.g. taskmgr.exe, svchost.exe, winlogon.exe, etc. - I will try to get the exact list in a bit). Wgatray.exe was also showing up at the list, sometimes taking up a portion of the CPU (10-50%) and sometimes not. The other strange thing is that whichever process in task manager is highlighted flashes - I'm guessing that this is a byproduct of lack of CPU cycles available to the (onboard) graphics processor, but I'm not sure.

When I logged out and logged back in as Admin, I had no problem and wgatray.exe did not show up on the task manager. System Idle was at 98-99%. I did not try to run any applications though (see below, when I switch the limited user to full user).

When I removed the new DIMM and went back to the original configuration, everything worked as before.

I then changed the limited user to a full (admin) user and when I log in with that account I have no problem. That is, until I tried to open Outlook. Now task manager is at 50%, System Idle is at ~45% and Outlook at about 2-3%.

The copy of Windows is genuine (OEM version). The only reason why I think wgatray.exe is involved is that it shows up when there is a problem, and is not there when there isn't.

Searching the MS knowledge base led to this article describing how to disable and/or uninstall WGA notifications. I checked the version of WGA Notifications and it is 1.9, so that article doesn't apply directly, and anyways, I don't want to lose the ability to update windows, even those this computer is almost dead (several, several years old now).

I did a HJT scan for giggles, but didn't spot anything obviously wrong - I don't suspect any type of malware infection, more likely some Windows hiccup or possible hardware incompatibility.

Any ideas on other things to try?
Hi Marcotte, I see you have —> Operating System: Win XP Pro SP3 Do you have or had any problems with Windows latest updates? Is this a computer you're working on and not yours? The more info you can give us, the better! Don't make us 'pull teeth' ^_^
Hey Marcotte,

Give us a link to a hardware scan from D-A-L
http://www.d-a-l.com/hardwarescan/

And then run CodeStuff - Starters

Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.

CodeStuff-Starters
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/Starter.html

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab -

  • Click on File
  • Select - save as .Plain Text (name the report file - Startups May12.txt
In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons – at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply)

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.


Best Regards
No, this is not my own computer, but it is also running XP Pro SP3. There were no problems with the recent Windows Update that I am aware of.

I tried running the d-a-l.com scan, but after an hour I got impatient :blush: and rebooted. I took out the old DIMM, and am now running with only the new 1 GB DIMM in the computer and it appears to be running OK. When I open Task Manager and let the computer sit, the CPU shows 98% for System Idle and 2% for Task Manager.

Here is the d-a-l scan for the current setup:
http://www.d-a-l.com/hardware-scanner/app/…bcd0e10954d5e1f

Startups text file is attached.
📎Startups_May_13.txt
TIA,
Marcotte
That motherboard accommodates PC2100 sdram (and backward compatibility would accept PC2700 sdram or PC3200 sdram)

What type is the "old" RAM ?
What type is the new RAM?

It could be interesting to see if there are errors when using the "old" RAM
Use the instruction linked here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/How_Test_Mem…ms_t103823.html
Report back on errors found.
Test with only "old" RAM installed
Test with only "new" RAM installed
give us report for each.

"Any" error when testing RAM is "too many".
_____________________-

As to CodeStuff Starters…

Using MSCONFIG - StartUps, or directly with CodeStuff Starters, you can turn off:

Soundman.exe
SunJavaUpdate Sched

To turn off ctfmon.exe…

ctfmon.exe - is a special case and cannot be disabled via MSCONFIG. Ctfmon.exe is an MS utility to make possible the display of characters in the Thais, Mandarin and Japanese languages and other features of audible text for users with special needs. If you correspond or conduct business with Asian Language individuals or websites or have your machine configured for special needs Accessibility, you may be using these "special text services". If not, it is a resource hog and can safely be turned off.

GoTo - Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Languages(tab)
Press - Details(button)
From the next Panel (Text Services and Input languages) - Select - Advanced(tab)
Place a checkmark/tick in front of the System Configuration item: "Turn off advanced Text Services"
Press - Apply - OK - OK to back out and then close your Control Panel


As to the first item:
"","","Registry - Machine Run","1","",""

Sometimes "blank" items running from startup are processes that are poorly written or never bothered to obtain a certificate from MS Windows.
Sometimes they are proprietary and were installed by the machine manufacturer (but usually optional utilities).
Sometimes they are unwanted downloads, and even malware, acquire via less than careful browsing.

You can DISABLE that (unknown) item via CodeStuff Starters.
In the unlikely circumstance that it relates to a wanted process, you can re-Enable it by replacing the checkmark/tick using CodeStuff Starters
________________________

Question:

Is this machine really running without an active AntiVirus, and without AntiMalware, and without Firewall?

If the answer to the above question is yes, then consider installing an AntiVirus and at least turn on the XP native Firewall.
Also consider running a few online scans (Kaspersky, TrendMicro, Panda) and download, installl, update and scan with Malwarebytes.

*** If your status in Malware Classroom prohibits you from performing Malware Removal assistance at this time, then consider posting this machine as a problem you would work on in the White Board Section, or post a Thread in Infections Removal.
You may get the best advice from your Classroom Teacher, and should consult that Teacher before taking any additional step that may involve malware scan/removal.
***Failure to consult your Classroom Teacher, and/or acting on malware removal activities without permission from Classroom could jeopardize your enrollment.

In the event that you discover any presence of Malware, we will be sending you over to Infections Removal, because we simply do not deal with Malware Removal outside of the Infections Removal Forum, and there only by authorized staff.
So checking with your Classroom Teacher at this time is an important step.
__________________

Let's have a better look at this machine via PCPitstop OverDrive Full Tests

please post an OverDrive link so that we can see what is taking place on your computer. You will need to register an account, login, and run the full tests from the link below, then copy and paste the URL from the results page into your next reply in this Thread:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

If you need help, there is a tutorial here:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/html/helpfiles/techexphelp.htm

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI