Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Help to get wireless back

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

Dell Inspiron 1300 using XP home.

I have suddenly lost my wireless connection and have had this happen before and just pressed repair and it was sorted. It now states `windows cannot finish the repair`  I have tried ....

1. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then click OK.
  2. Click Network Connections.
  3. In Network Connections, click to select your wireless connection, and then click Change settings of this connection.
  4. On the Wireless Networks tab, click to select the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box.

But I cannot find `use windows to configure wireless settings` to see if that will resolve anything.

I have tried clicking on `view available networks` but again windows cannot configure.

The wireless (F2) is turned on.

I have checked the Dell wireless WLAN card utility and it shows the signal as excellent

I have checked device managers and it shows `This device is working properly`

If I plug in a cable from the Super hub it connects to the internet ok.

In Broadcom advanced control suite 2 (whatever that is) I did a network test and it shows status as `Link down` and failed.

I am at a loss as what to do next, I havent tried a system restore as yet.  Now out of my depth with this.

Can anyone help

NOW SORTED

Edited by scudo, 17 April 2014 - 03:45 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Hi Scudo,

I was just about to compose a long and complicated reply when I saw that you had fixed it... :thumbup:

Can you share with us the fix that was successful so that other folks who may have similar issues can benefit from your experience?

Thanks and best regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

I am not exactly sure what the specific fix was as I was going round in circles and over a period of three days repeatedly checking the same things and rebooting. I can say it was not the drivers.  My best guess it was one of two things or possibly a combination of both.

1. I reset the defaults on the router which may have changed the access code to the default one which I then used.This was set up three years ago so anything could have been changed since then.

2. I eventually managed to get windows to manage the connections, I dont know what was previously stopping this as I had tried several times previously and it was always rejected.

My apologies for being somewhat vague about the fix but I lost track of all that I tried so the above is my best shot.

Attached are some diagnostics which I stumbled across at one stage, it is double dutch to me but maybe someone could analyse it and relate to what I have posted as it may identify the real issue.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

Thanks Scudo

I reckon resetting your router did the trick

:thumbup:

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate