This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

printing with Linux live cd

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am using this forum to continue where I left off with the creation of a Puppy 5.6 Live cd.

I have the disc and can access my sensitive sites but need to print.

I saw the page with a list of downloads and here were about 5 at the HP site. I have HP Officejet 6500A and also have the disc. I don't know if I am compromising the security by printing and if I need to install the drivers in my machine or in a new cd.

Any help would be appreciated.

 

ok no printers of my own to test anything so your going to have to do most of the work yourself and report back what's happening.

from my understanding your going to need the hplip driver for hp printers, these may or may not already be built into the distro.

before going there tho, lets see if puppy can find and setup your printer by itself.

 

run the livecd and setup the internet connection first as usual, i'd also not put the x in the firewall option so the firewall doesn't start, it may interfere with setting up the printer, you can always start it later when we know printing works.

 

now on the main welcome page at the bottom you will see a setup icon click on it.

in the new window near the top you will see a number of tabs, click on the hardware tab.

now you will see a list of different hardware you can setup, click on the printer

 

now things are in your hands, there are 2 options i can see install and manage, try them and see if your printer is found and can now print.

 

take good notes especially of any errors or missing dependencies and report back your results.

 

this link should help you to install your printer. :- http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59015

 

i don't think the puppy live cd has hplip so you may need this link where you can download and install hplip from :- http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html

 

good luck and let us know how your getting on.

 

don't forget, because you are running puppy as a live cd with no persistent file system, you are going to have to go through this process every single time you run the puppy live cd and want to print something.

 

:popcorn:

A friend of mine just found that Ubuntu 12.04.4 located his printer right away and he printed for Ubuntu. I have to ask him what and how he downloaded. He was having the same trouble as I was.

I cannot put you through more of the same as before and cannot tell you how helpful you have been. I will try the Ubuntu route as you said I have to go through whatever I do all over.

He just printed.

However, you really went out of your way and I am finally relieved for both of us.

Peter

puppy is a minimalist distro so doesn't have a lot of drivers built into it that a larger distro probably does.

 

for example puppy is only 165MB in size where as suse live kde is 942MB over 5 times bigger.

i'd guess ubuntu is probably nearer the size of suse's live cd too.

so that's a lot of extra functionality/drivers included in the basic live cds of those distros not included in puppy.

 

try one of the larger live cds, of course i recommend suse live kde from here :- http://software.opensuse.org/131/en

any live cd will be just as secure as using puppy for banking but the bigger ones are a lot more likely to just have your printer working with a few clicks.

 

:popcorn:

no probs.

 

let us know what distros live cd you decide to try and how you get on with it.

 

probably best to stick with what your mate is using then he can tell you exactly what steps to follow to get things working. :thumbup:

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI