Hello,
I have problems with my router it prevents me from gaming because of nat and I don't know how to open it. Any ideas?
9 min read
Hello,
I have problems with my router it prevents me from gaming because of nat and I don't know how to open it. Any ideas?
Hi Shagg and welcome to the WTT forums.
Your router should not block gaming automatically unless someone has set it up to do so…… If it has been set up that way then it would be best to speak to them and request they they "allow" the particular site you wish to use.
Once this has been done the owners manual for the particular router concerned should give complete instructions on how to access its user interface, its usually password controlled so you will need to ask the owner or whoever set it up to allow you to access it…..
The gaming site concerned should aslo provide detailed instructions on "port forwarding" ( if this is necessary) and they often provide a help desk/forum facility for folks who want to use their site.
Regards
paws
The problem is that they are requesting the IP address of the game's server which I cannot reach, so If you can give me instructions on how to get the IP, I would much appreciate that. The game is AOEO which means it is an RTS game, and it has many servers.
Not quite sure what you are meaning by this? can you clarify please…?The problem is that they are requesting the IP address of the game's server
if your just opening a port in the router i very much doubt it's the ip address of the gaming server you need.
when you open a port in the router and it asks for an ip address, what it wants is the ip address of a pc connected to the router, the one you want the router to send the data to, usually something like 192.168.0.2
so really what you want to do first is make sure your pc has a fixed ip address (especially if there's more than 1 device using the internet in the home.) and then use that ip in the port forwarding setup.
![]()
this link explains how things work and should help you with any live connection issues for age of empires online. :- http://forums.xbox.com/gfw/technical_support/f/253/t/1660.aspx
Thanks for your responses,
I thought of posting my router's page to cut any doubts and to provide more clarification about the IP thing. In the picture attached, there are some highlighted ports, those are the ports I want to open, I'm not sure about the IP though, so, are you sure about the 192.168.0.2 thing ?. About the static IP, I'm not sure about what IPs to put in the Preferred and Alternate DNS server.
if i remember correctly when i used to set a static ip on a windows machine i just left dns servers blank and selected the automatically obtain the dns servers choice.
anyway you can find what your currently using with the ipconfig /all command i believe.
this link explains the ipconfig command and where to use it :- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314850
no idea why your forwarding those 8 ports or how/where you got those ip addresses, but yes i'm sure the server ip address it wants added in there is going to be the ip address of your pc.
don't forget opening/forwarding ports in your firewall/router is not a very good idea from a security perspective, so only open ones your sure need opening.
i seriously doubt you need to port forward/open ports 80 and 8080 for example, but i'm no network expert so may be wrong.
personally i'd make a note of those rules then delete them all and see if you can now game.
![]()
The first 3 ports are like default in my router, I never opened them, but the other 5 ports are the ones I added and trying to open, and their IP addresses are the ones I'm looking for. I'm opening them cuz the game wants them open in order for the game to connect properly with other hosts. And already those 5 aren't working and the other 3 are default ports that I can't delete cuz that might make me not able to enter the router's page ever again unless I talk to the ISP and in this case that might take days to get it fixed again. All I need to know is the correct IP for those 5 ports, and I made the IP static, and changed the 5 port's IPs to 192.168.0.2, but that didn't work either.
if you've set a static ip address for your pc then that is the address your looking for.
no way are those 3 ports default because no router forwards any ports as default or needs any ports forwarded to connect to the internet.
deleting them won't stop you being able to connect to the setup page either because your not changing the routers lan ip address.
no problem if your wary of deleting them tho, so lets start from the beginning.
how are you connected to the internet, do you have 2 devices a separate modem and then a router or is there only 1 device a modem/router combined?
and can you run the ipconfig /all command and post the results here, that way i can tell you exactly what your ip address is for that pc.
![]()
All I can see is 1 router, but not sure if I've got a separate modem connected outside or not, but I've attached the full map for you to judge it yourself.
ok sounds like you only have 1 device, if you had 2 you would also need to open the ports in the modem as well as the router before things would work.
your connected wireless and the ip you want in the port forwarding is 192.168.0.3 not forgetting you will also need to either disable any firewall on that pc or open the same ports in the firewall it's using too.
![]()
I think the problem is solved, thanks.
![]()
![]()
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI