This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

something is trying to sign into my e-mail [Solved]

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi there

For two or three months I've been getting various error messages when I try to download my e-mail from the server.  I first thought it was my Outlook Express program getting worn out, so I switched to Thunderbird, as the wave of the non-OE future.

 

Now I often as not get this:

 

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.midtel.net responded: User: denno Domain: midtel.net, Too many login attempts, try again later. Setting g_bad_login ip=72.10.204.59

 

My ISP tells me that some program or malware on some device in the house is apparently trying to sign on (frequently) with perhaps the wrong password, which causes their safelocks to bar my account temporarily.

 

I've made sure OE is not canvassing for downloads at all, on startup (I open it to refer to saved messages) or every 30 minutes or anything.

 

A basic Malwarebytes scan shows nothing.

 

There are two other "devices" in the house: my wife's computer, on which I only VERY occasionally check my mail, and then by signing in online; and her tablet.  When we were in Europe I set up some kind of mail account on that, which did not seem to work.  Or maybe it was that I couldn't figure out how; in any event , I checked my mail, again, by signing in online.

 

Ideas?

 

denno

Hello denno and welcome to the WTT forum.

My name is Satchfan and I would be glad to help you with your computer problem.

Please read the following guidelines which will help to make cleaning your machine easier:

  • please follow all instructions in the order posted
  • please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear
  • all logs/reports, etc. must be posted in Notepad. Please ensure that word wrap is unchecked. In Notepad click Format, uncheck Word wrap if it is checked
  • if you don't understand something, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification before proceeding
  • the fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
  • please reply within 3 days. If you do not reply within this period I will post a reminder but topics with no reply in 4 days will be closed!

IMPORTANT:

Please DO NOT install/uninstall any programs unless asked to.
Please DO NOT run any scans other than those requested

===================================================

As this is a malware-removal forum we’ll run some scans to see if there is any malware on your computer and if there is no problem there I’ll provide you with a link to another of our forums to see if the experts there can help.

It could be that you are using the wrong username or password so please read this and see if it solves your problem first and then run the scans.

===================================================

Download and run OTL


  • download OTL to your desktop.
  • double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • click Scan all users.
  • under Custom Scan paste this in


    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    consrv.dll
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /rp /s
    DRIVES
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

     

  • click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan won’t take long.
  • when the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply.
  • you may need two posts to fit them both in.

===================================================

Run aswMBR

  • download aswMBR.exe to your desktop.
  • double click the aswMBR.exe to run it
  • if asked, accept the AVAST virus definition download
  • click the "Scan" button to start scan
  • on completion of the scan click Save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply

Logs to include with next post:

OTL.txt
Extras.txt
aswMBR log


Thanks

Satchfan
 

 

Satchfan, thanks.

Lemme try one thing first (today).

My wife says there is indeed something linked into my e-mail on the tablet.  We'll remove it and see if anything is different.

Hmm.  I thought I posted a progress report earlier….

 

Anyway, we deleted the thing on the tablet and the mail has been behaving all day, so I think that was the problem. 

Thanks, Satchfan,  for your attention to my difficulties…I'm sure I'll be back…

 

denno

Thanks, Satchfan,  for your attention to my difficulties

 

You are welcome.

 

I'll leave this open for 24 hours in case you have any other problems, after which I’ll close the topic.

Safe computing

 

Satchfan

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI