So I bought this computer used and just loaded my copy of Windows on it so it is basically a brand new computer if a bit dated… I know I might be missing a bunch of drivers (not sure how to find them) but my plug and play portable hard drive isn't showing up on my computer at all not even in device manager… so I'm kinda stuck… Help me I feel stupid.
Portable Hard Drive Not showing up at all
5 min read
first thing to do is go into device manager and look for any device with a warning sign next to it, find out what it is probably by looking under it's properties, that should give you enough info to google it for drivers, or list them here so we can find drivers for you. another way is go to the manufacturers site of the pc and look for the correct drivers for your os, you'll need to know the make and model of the pc, on a sticker somewhere usually.
if it's still not seen after making sure all drivers are installed so nothing has a warning next to it in device manager then there may be a problem either with the portable drive, it's cable or even the ports your connecting it to but we'd need to do some testing to figure out where the problem may be.
![]()
first thing to do is go into device manager and look for any device with a warning sign next to it, find out what it is probably by looking under it's properties, that should give you enough info to google it for drivers, or list them here so we can find drivers for you. another way is go to the manufacturers site of the pc and look for the correct drivers for your os, you'll need to know the make and model of the pc, on a sticker somewhere usually.
if it's still not seen after making sure all drivers are installed so nothing has a warning next to it in device manager then there may be a problem either with the portable drive, it's cable or even the ports your connecting it to but we'd need to do some testing to figure out where the problem may be.
Thanks man I'll try that I only had one follow up question will the drivers be the same if the computer has been modified?
I'm not sure if it has or not and I know that I will be modifing the Processer and Video card and throw in some more RAM for giggles
depends what you mean by modified, as long as it's not the motherboard that's been changed, the drivers your probably looking for are all chipset related so will be the same, yes.
chipset :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset
if the motherboard has been changed then you will need to find out it's make and model and look on the manufacturers site for the chipset drivers.
also if your going to change the cpu at a later date then you might also need a bios update to support it, the video card and ram i don't forsee any problems with usually.
![]()
depends what you mean by modified, as long as it's not the motherboard that's been changed, the drivers your probably looking for are all chipset related so will be the same, yes.
chipset :- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipset
if the motherboard has been changed then you will need to find out it's make and model and look on the manufacturers site for the chipset drivers.
also if your going to change the cpu at a later date then you might also need a bios update to support it, the video card and ram i don't forsee any problems with usually.
dude you are complete awesome sauce is there somewhere I can go to give you like a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 star ratting? btw kinda drunk when posting this…
just have one for me. ![]()
![]()
just have one for me.
will do… by chance are you also an excel guru?
I'm guessing that since you are a aweson hardware tech guy that you are an awesome software tech guy too ![]()
I have an unawesome sauce (one of many of my favorite sayings lol) project that requires me to take information from B3:K200 on tab "A" and paste to B3:K200 on tab "B" but only if H3:H200 ="NO"…. for instance H12="NO" so I need B12:K12 to copy and paste
Yea not a daunting task at all right? Sounds like fun? Well I have 29 "tab a" that all need to keep in order when they paste to "tab b"
and I'd reall rather not have to paste over 7-8 hundred lines of text… So yea… I'll be opening an new topic for this one but I figured I'd ask you first
have a good one man l8rs
Hi amonty87,
That sure looks like a "Business" type issue you have there. If that's true then it would be wise to consult your firms IT support dept or the IT consultants that provide business support for them.
Post back with more details if its in fact a very large private (not business) Excel spreadsheet you are trying to adjust.
Here's an extract from the WTT site's Terms of Use:
- We offer free computer help and tech support for home and personal use. We are not here to support others that work for profit, or to support/replace your company's IT department
I've reposted the above in your other topic on the same or similar subject here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=127430
Regards
paws
not an excel user so no idea if this will work but it should be something simple like.
=IF($H12:H200="NO",A12:K200,"NO")
now what i think the above does when placed in B12:K200 is to look at the H12:H200 box and if it is NO then it will copy the data from A12:K200 box in but if there is anything else in H12:H200 box it will put NO in B12:K200.
sorry can't offer any other advice except to say do some google searches and see what's out there because i can't test my ideas to see if they work or not,
![]()
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI