This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cant remove firefox start page

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

History…

I had a `my search` toolbar mistakenly installed and run adcleaner / Malwarebytes   and eventually got it uninstalled this may have caused my issue.  Now when I open firefox it always defaults to their `Mozilla firefox start page`  I have gone to  Tools / options /general and reset it to `blank` and tried to set the home page to `google` but it always reverts back to the Mozilla firefox start page.

 

Its not a major problem more an irritation, any ideas on how I get my `open in blank page` restored

What shows under Tools / Add-ons for Extensions and Plugins? Maybe something in there is causing this.

 

Also look in Control Panel, Programs and Features, see what else is installed.

 

What Anti-virus do you use? Some of them make it difficult to change browser home page.

Nothing in the add ons or plug ins

Programmes in control panel is also ok.

 

I am using windows security essentials and run malware bytes and ccleaner.

 

I mainly use firefox and it appears to be a problem others have had (google)for various reasons, some say it happened after an update and various recommendations to sort it but nothing has worked, when I set for a blank default opening page it just reverts back when I reopen firefox.

 

I did try going here which was one suggestion  and deleting the value but reverts back although I am wary of changing anything in this section.

 

I went to   about:config

 

Preference      startup.homepage_welcome   _url;

Status    default  

type       string

Value     https://www.mozilla.org/%LOCALE%/firefox/%VERSION%/firstrun/

Two things to try.

 

1. Boot to Safe Mode with Networking. Start  FF and change the home page. CLose FF then start it again and see if the home page took or not.

 

2. Regular or Safe Mode, start FF then click on the FF drop down at top left of page and select Help then Restart with Add-ons disabled. CHange home page then close FF and start to see if home page took or not. When you start FF with Add-ons disable, one of the choices you get is Reset, which you can try if nothing else works.

Initially neither solution appeared to work, however after a couple of reboots the firefox start page has now disappeared.  Not sure what part of your suggestions solved it but it looks like the issue is now resolved.

 

Thank you for your help.

Scudo

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI