Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Cant remove firefox start page

Best Answer Ztruker , 08 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

Two things to try. 1. Boot to Safe Mode with Networking. Start  FF and change the home page. CLose FF then start it again and see if the home page took or not. 2. Regular or Safe Mode, start FF then click on the FF drop down at top left... Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:46 AM

History...

I had a `my search` toolbar mistakenly installed and run adcleaner / Malwarebytes   and eventually got it uninstalled this may have caused my issue.  Now when I open firefox it always defaults to their `Mozilla firefox start page`  I have gone to  Tools / options /general and reset it to `blank` and tried to set the home page to `google` but it always reverts back to the Mozilla firefox start page.

Its not a major problem more an irritation, any ideas on how I get my `open in blank page` restored

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

What shows under Tools / Add-ons for Extensions and Plugins? Maybe something in there is causing this.

Also look in Control Panel, Programs and Features, see what else is installed.

What Anti-virus do you use? Some of them make it difficult to change browser home page.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:18 AM

Nothing in the add ons or plug ins

Programmes in control panel is also ok.

I am using windows security essentials and run malware bytes and ccleaner.

I mainly use firefox and it appears to be a problem others have had (google)for various reasons, some say it happened after an update and various recommendations to sort it but nothing has worked, when I set for a blank default opening page it just reverts back when I reopen firefox.

I did try going here which was one suggestion  and deleting the value but reverts back although I am wary of changing anything in this section.

I went to   about:config

Preference      startup.homepage_welcome   _url;

Status    default  

type       string

Value     https://www.mozilla....SION%/firstrun/

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:43 PM   Best Answer

Two things to try.

1. Boot to Safe Mode with Networking. Start  FF and change the home page. CLose FF then start it again and see if the home page took or not.

2. Regular or Safe Mode, start FF then click on the FF drop down at top left of page and select Help then Restart with Add-ons disabled. CHange home page then close FF and start to see if home page took or not. When you start FF with Add-ons disable, one of the choices you get is Reset, which you can try if nothing else works.

Rich

#5 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:19 AM

Initially neither solution appeared to work, however after a couple of reboots the firefox start page has now disappeared.  Not sure what part of your suggestions solved it but it looks like the issue is now resolved.

Thank you for your help.

Scudo

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

Dafynition: A computer is the quickest way to do the wrong thing repeatedly! - Me

Rich