Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91733 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

User accounts and security?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 little pip

little pip

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hi. I'm currently sharing a laptop with my partner (so painful). I've set up two accounts because he has a habit of collecting viruses as he goes. Probably the sites he visits, but also because he doesn't pay much attention to what he's doing. I should clarify that there is absolutely no way that he would be using torrents/illegal software on my computer...he tends to download music through places like Reddit (so mediafire etc) and I don't always trust random files on download sites.

However, my question is...if he is going to do what he wants anyway and download stuff on another account (non-admin), will that affect the rest of my computer? If he got a virus on his account, is there a way to stop it spreading to my admin account? I'd kind of looked into a sandbox, but I'm not sure what that really means.

There also a Youtube download site he uses that asks for full access to the computer or something through Java. I'm assuming that's a pretty dumb thing to grant access to...but he tends to be fairly click happy and not read popups. Is the 'full access' only to his account?

The obvious answer, of course, is to make him get his own computer again, but he has big plans for Christmas etc. So, for the next while at least, this is my option.

(He's not that bad, just shouldn't be allowed on the internet.. ;) )

Edited by little pip, 02 November 2013 - 08:14 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,791 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

Everything your partner does on the computer affects you. Your best defense is to get it clean then create an image backup so when you get infected (not if, when), recovery is easy and quick.

Make his account a non-administrator account so he can't install anything. Yours should be the administrator account and should be password protected so he can't login to it.

If the situation stays as it is I'm sure we'll be seing each other agan, soon, right here  at WhatTheTech :(

Edited by Ztruker, 02 November 2013 - 08:30 PM.

Rich

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 little pip

little pip

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:46 AM

Oh dear. Okay, thanks. I'll sort it out (and hopefully him at the same time :) ).