This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

User accounts and security?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. I'm currently sharing a laptop with my partner (so painful). I've set up two accounts because he has a habit of collecting viruses as he goes. Probably the sites he visits, but also because he doesn't pay much attention to what he's doing. I should clarify that there is absolutely no way that he would be using torrents/illegal software on my computer…he tends to download music through places like Reddit (so mediafire etc) and I don't always trust random files on download sites.

 

However, my question is…if he is going to do what he wants anyway and download stuff on another account (non-admin), will that affect the rest of my computer? If he got a virus on his account, is there a way to stop it spreading to my admin account? I'd kind of looked into a sandbox, but I'm not sure what that really means.

 

There also a Youtube download site he uses that asks for full access to the computer or something through Java. I'm assuming that's a pretty dumb thing to grant access to…but he tends to be fairly click happy and not read popups. Is the 'full access' only to his account?

 

The obvious answer, of course, is to make him get his own computer again, but he has big plans for Christmas etc. So, for the next while at least, this is my option.

 

(He's not that bad, just shouldn't be allowed on the internet.. ;) )

Everything your partner does on the computer affects you. Your best defense is to get it clean then create an image backup so when you get infected (not if, when), recovery is easy and quick.

 

Make his account a non-administrator account so he can't install anything. Yours should be the administrator account and should be password protected so he can't login to it.

 

If the situation stays as it is I'm sure we'll be seing each other agan, soon, right here  at WhatTheTech :(

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI