Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Inserting new Key Code

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dconant1

dconant1

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

My wife has a 30-day Trial Copy of Office on her computer. She used it and liked it and decided to purchase the program. She bought, what she thought, was the whole program (Disks, books, and all ....just like it used to be sold) online at ebay for $100. She received the shipment this past week, opened it and all that was in there was a card giving her a 25-digit code to put into her program. On the outside of the box it said Office Home and Student 2013. She asked me to insert this code into her trial copy of Office. That's when my problems started. I looked at her computer and saw a version of Word from 2000. It was easy to go to Help/About and see the key code right there. I then noticed another version of Word from 2013, Excel 2013 and PowerPoint 2013. That must be the Trial that she downloaded. But I don't see any Help/About tab or any place to insert this new 25-digit code. That is my first question - how or where do I insert this code? Then I noticed a version of Office 365 and the $99/yr subscription rate for 5 computers, and wondered if the Trial program that she has loaded is Office 365 rather than Office Home and Student 2013. All she wants is to use Word, Excel and PowerPoint ... particularly PowerPoint. She doesn't want the yearly subscription version. So my next question is ... How can I determine which version she has loaded? And how can that version have this 25-digit code inserted? I know this is the same question I asked before but I wanted to understand better what is going on with this new Microsoft way of selling their premiere product (Office).

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hi deconant1, sorry to hear of the problems you have been experiencing with MS Office.

The price of USD $100 seems mighty cheap to me for MS Office Home and Student..... I know Microsoft software is a lot cheaper in the USA compared with some other countries, but I do wonder if you have received the genuine article...

however there is an easy way to find out...

If you go here:
http://support.micro....com/kb/2808266

you should be able to download the files needed to create your own Installation DVD

You will need the DVD and the 25 character alpha numeric serial key (5 groups of 5) that came from your purchase.

You will need to activate your MS Office (Home and Student version) either on line or by phone call to Microsoft, so you should find out if its the genuine article or not pretty quickly.

I would be inclined to uninstall all other versions of MS Office, Word etc and reboot, as often the later versions dont "play nicely" with earlier versions that may be installed.

Let us know how you get on
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate