This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

WMP unable to stream/DLNA problems

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi guys, I'll try and give you as much information now to avoid any email hockey lol. I have 2 laptops, 1 is an HP Pavilion dv6 and the other is an ACER ASPIRE 5733, they both run W7 Home Premium 64Bit (original factory installations) and both have the same Anti-Virus on them (ESET Smart Security 5), they are in the same homegroup and also in a workgroup with another laptop that runs XP, everyone can see each other to pass files to etc. The problem I have is that I have connected a PIONEER Blu-Ray player to my Network via a LAN cable, when I select the Network option on my Blu-Ray player it picks up the ACER laptop as a DLNA server enabling me to browse folders and play files, I don't need to have WMP running or use the 'play to' function, but it can not 'see' my HP laptop. Both laptops are configured the same for streaming, I even had both side by side to look for different settings but both are exactly the same, I did the 'uninstall' of WMP and WMP Centre via the turning features on and off procedure, I have tried turning off all security and even did a complete re-install of W7 but I am still unable to get my HP laptop to stream or to be found as a DLNA server. I have downloaded other Media Streaming software but all failed to work so I don't know what to try next. Any help or ideas? Thanks Michael999
Configure ESET Security properly: http://search.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=c…amp;id=SOLN2317

If this doesn't work, disable ESET security's firewall and IDS completely and try again. Or just plain uninstall it.

Disable firewall: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2113
I can't find any information how to disable the IDS.

These types of programs are notorious for blocking everything you want to do without doing much for protecting you from the things you don't want. If you are using windows firewall these ports are automatically opened, using ESET you'll have to open whatever ports are required manually.
Hi and thanks for the reply appleoddity, I've already tried streaming without any anti-virus etc installed on my HP laptop and it makes no difference, the other laptop (ACER) I stream from has ESET installed and it works no problem, I did not have to open any ports in the firewall. Maybe the version of WMP that is packaged with my W7 is corrupted somehow? Thanks again Michael999
I know you checked settings. But read through this article and just double check everything has been setup properly. Maybe there is something in here that will give you some insight.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245888/how_…ndows_7_pc.html

You said you reinstalled Windows 7… Did you do a clean install? IN other words, did you wipe everything out and start over fresh or did you just reinstall Windows 7 over top of your existing installation?
Hi Yes, I did a clean install, 'back to factory settings' was the warning I got before I did it; my laptop has the W7 installation on a partitioned section of my drive, rather than a disc. I'll take a look at the link you posted and will let you know the results. Thanks Michael999
Hi Checked the link out and everything on my Laptop is how it should be to enable streaming, also has a look at the ESET link and everything is good to go also, but my Laptop is still not streaming or being recognised as a DLNA server Thanks for your help Michael999
The question is if you attempted to do any streaming immediately after reinstalling your system and setting up windows media player? Did you remove the trial anti-virus / internet security software from your system after the reload, if so, what product was it? Being that you have ESET security installed Windows firewall should be disabled. Is it? Is the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service running? Click Start -> Type 'services.msc' and press ENTER. Scroll down to the service and check its status.
Hi this is the running order I tried things: Clean installation of W7 Uninstalled trial version of Norton (can not remember which version it was) After the reboot to complete the uninstall I ran CCleaner to clean up the registry Stopped Windows firewall Control Panel:Set up PC for file sharing and streaming and Homegroup Checked that files can be shared with other Laptop (it does) WMP:started and set up for streaming Started Blu-Ray player…can not find HP Laptop as a server but it finds other Laptop I manually disabled Windows firewall after I reinstalled ESET The WMP Network Sharing Service is running after a delayed start (have included pic) Am I missing anything? Thanks

Attachments:

I'm not sure what else to try. Have you tried to see if one of the other computers can detect your laptop as a media server? Maybe there is some kind of compatibility issue with your Blu-Ray player and/or your laptop.

You can try the Norton Removal Tool to make sure there are no left overs causing problems. When you click the link you can choose any of the available options they all take you to where you can download the removal tool.

Have you tried connecting your laptop directly to your network with an ethernet cable? Maybe there is some kind of issue with your wireless.

Being this is a laptop, wouldn't ultimately it be better to server your media from a device better suited to do this? Like a NAS, or desktop computer. Laptops are moved around a lot and often not available. Just saying, maybe its not worth the trouble.
Hi My ACER laptop does not detect the HP as a server and I usually keep my laptops stationary, as I have 3 I just use the one in whichever room I am in. I will try using the HP with a LAN cable to see if there is a difference, I just don't understand why the ACER streams with no problem yet my HP will not when they have the same settings, the same security and the same version of W7. Thanks for your time and suggestions, greatly appreciated! Michael999
Hi To give you an update to things, I found a streaming programme called 'Mexxmo' which seems to have solved my problems, don't know how but it's working (only a 15 day trial but at least I've found something that does the job lol) thanks again :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI