This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, Hope someone can help here. I have WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player and have no problem playing movies from my WD Essentials harddrive to my TV. I want to play music from same to same but just can't figure out how to do this. I have the music stored on the harddrive but when I try to open it through the player on the TV, it says no content or something like that. Of course I threw away the instructions I got with the player and have tried finding out on the net but to no avail. Thanking you in advance, Cheers, Janice
Never seen one of these, but it's usually down to a couple of things, either the connectors are not correctly inserted, or faulty, or the media type is not supported by the device, assuming everything has been installed properly, I think I found the manual, assuming it is the one here are the supported file types:-

Media File Formats Supported on the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 1) (Based on Firmware Version 1.03.01)
Video – WMV9, AVI (MPEG1/2/4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), MOV (MPEG4, H.264), M2TS, TP, TS, MOV/MP4 (MPEG4, h.264), DVR-MS, VOB (unprotected or unencrypted)
•MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 support up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution.
•FLV file extensions are NOT supported. Neither are RMVB videos from Real Media. You will need to use conversion software to convert them to a supported format.
•The WD TV HD Media Player only supports certain types of codecs based on the extension of your file. You can check the User Manual for a list of supported codecs for each file extension.

Pictures – JPEG/JPG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG
•JPEG only supports compressed RGB format files. BMP only supports uncompressed files. TIFF only supports single layer files. BMP, TIFF/TIF, PNG, and GIF have a max resolution of 2048x2048. JPEG/JPG has a max resolution of 4096x4096 unless it is in a progressive format, then maxes out at 1280x720.

Audio – MP3, WMA, MPA, M4A, MP4A, OGG, WAV/PCM/LPCM, AAC, FLAC, Dolby Digital, AIF/AIFF, MKA
•An audio receiver is required for surround sound output (including the unsupported DTS audio codec). For more information see Answer ID 3590: DTS support on the WD TV Media Player
•AAC/Dolby Digital decodes in 2 channel output only.


Playlists – PLS, M3U, WPL

Subtitles – SRT, SMI, SUB, rear, SSA

I have tried searching your error, but only saw the following, with luck it's the error you were getting:-

Problem:
The error 'Access denied' occurs when when accessing a My Book Live, My Book World Edition (White Light), My Book World Edition II (White Light), or WD ShareSpace using the Media Library function of a WD TV Live Streaming Media Player, WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, WD TV Live Hub Media Center, or WD TV Live (WDBAAx0000NBK) HD Media Player.

Cause:
This occurs when the Twonky settings are set to disable NAS devices. By defualt all devices are allowed to access the NAS.

Solution:
To allow a device to access the WD NAS via Media Library, make sure the WD TV Live product is enabled.
1.Open the Dashboard or Shared Storage manager for your NAS.
2.Access the Twonky settings for your device.
3.Make sure the MAC address of the WD TV Live product is checked to allow access.

The manual and info I found were all related to This Link from WD, hopefully between the above, and the manual and other downloads from there something will work, but thats assuming I found this device from your description, hope it helps a bit anyway.
Hi, Thanks a lot for this! I have printed out the info and will try it. Its not for home, I have any number of devices to play my music on but for when I go to my lake. I'm limited and this will work perfectly for me. Cheers, Janice
HI, Well I just tried this out at home and it works great!! I gotta tell you this is an absolutely amazing gadget (I love my gadgets). Technology today rocks. Thanks again for the help, it was soooo easy to do. Cheers, Janice
Hi, yeah I love gadgets as well, but it makes me mad when one defeats me lol, fortunately thats not that often, but it's often a hard ride to get there, but easy results such as this make up for that, but just so we know (incase others have similar issues) what part of the above was the solution ? I'm guessing the Twonky settings ? whatever they are lol, glad you got a result anyway.
HI, No it wasn't the Twonky settings, everything was okay on my hard drive but I wasn't opening the folder in the music setting (duh! that should have been a given) but I had always only used the video settings and didn't even know how to scroll for music. Up to that point I hadn't even thought about playing my music through the player. I have an external speaker which I plug my mp3 player into for my music and my husband asked if I could plug it into the TV to use the speakers on the TV which would provide a better sound. I told him no but that got me thinking about how I could that. It was simply a matter of reading the manual pertaining to music, again that should have been a given but the simple things sometimes get overlooked for thinking it can't be just that easy, when it is just that easy!!!! LOL Again thanks! Cheers, Janice

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI