This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

NTVDM CPUhas encountered an illegal instruction

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello. This is not a problem with my own computer but with a customers, and I'm searching for a way to solve it. Every time the computer is booting up after windows login an error msg appears: C:\Users\pjagerst\AppData\Local\Temp\Sony\SONYPC~\AUTOUP~1\SO5A39~1.EXE The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:0de8 IP:011d OP:63 63 65 73 73 Chose 'Close' to terminate the application. [Close] [Ignore] There are 3 msgs like this that appears after one another with some differences in the numbers at the last line. I've found some topics on some forums that looks a bit the same but still not. Even at this forum I found some topic regarding something similar but I don't know if the fix is the same, especially since it's not my computer the fix is necessary on I don't want to do anything to hasty.
Hi there,
my name is Marius and I will assist you with your malware related problems.

Before we move on, please read the following points carefully.
  • First, read my instructions completely. If there is anything that you do not understand kindly ask before proceeding.
  • Perform everything in the correct order. Sometimes one step requires the previous one.
  • If you have any problems while following my instructions, Stop there and tell me the exact nature of your problem.
  • Do not run any other scans without instruction or add/remove software unless I tell you to do so. This would change the output of our tools and could be confusing for me.
  • Post all logfiles as a reply rather than as an attachment unless I specifically ask you. If you can not post all logfiles in one reply, feel free to use more posts.
  • If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, then this thread will be closed.
  • Stay with me. I will give you some advice about prevention after the cleanup process. Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean.
  • My first language is not english. So please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to read. Thanks for your understanding.




Scan with OTL

  • Download OTL by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the OTL.exe icon on your desktop. If you are using Vista, please right-click and select run as administrator
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.


    Note: If you are using a Windows 64bit machine, please make sure the checkbox next to Include 64Bit Scans is checked. It will be checked by default.

  • Push the [external image: Posted Image] button.
  • It will now begin to scan, please be paitent while it scans.
  • Two reports will open once it's done.
  • Please copy and paste them in your next reply:
  • OTL.txt <– Will be opened
  • Extras.txt <– Will be minimized





Scan with Gmer rootkit scanner

Please download Gmer from here by clicking on the "Download EXE" Button.
  • Double click on the randomly named GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent.
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan…click on NO.
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following …
    • Sections
    • IAT/EAT
    • Show All ( should be unchecked by default )
  • Leave everything else as it is.
  • Close all other running programs as well as your Browser.
  • Click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the Save.. button, and in the File name area, type in "ark.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop.
  • Please post the content of the ark.txt here.
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<— ROOKIT" entries
Hello Marius. Thank you for your fast reply. Unfortunately I will not have access to this infected computer until next thursday, because as I said in my initial post, it is not my own computer, it is a customers of mine. So if you bare with me until next thursday I will do the things you have told me to do!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI