This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

malware on uninstall [Closed]

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I just had my computer refreshed and want to learn how to keep it clean. Now when you uninstall something, doesn't it leave items behind? My problems all started when I tried to delete avg, it wouldn't uninstall and then left errors. I don't know if this is the right forum, but how can you uninstall something without leaving messes behind. Some programs work with the registry like REVO, and I have always heard a novice shouldn't ever go near there. What is your opinion on how to uninstall cleanly? Thanks.
Revo is a good option to keep your computer clean. As you have recognized, we don´t recommend using any registry cleaners like for example RegCleanPro or even the registry cleaning function within Ccleaner.

How to protect yourself

  • System Updates
    Beeing up to date is very important. Please be sure to activate automatic updates in your control panel.
    Windows XP | Windows Vista |
    Windows 7 | windows 8
  • Protection
    What you need is one (not more) good virus scanner with backgroud protection. Additionally I recommend a special malwarescanner that you run from time to time.
    Personally I am using the avast! Antivirus Free Edition and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. They offer you good protection for free use. But please remember: You get only the full protection if you use the payed versions of your security software.
  • Up to date Software
    Stay up to date with all the programs you use. Some of those really have to have an eye on are: your browser(s) including add-ons and plug-ins, Java, Flash Player, your virus scanner, and basically every software you use often. These link may help you to check:
    • Secunia Online Software Inspector - Checks if your software has updates available.
    • Filehippo Update Checkere - This tool also scans your computer for outdated software.
    • Mozilla: Check your plugins - The webpage will tell you if you have outdated plugins in your Firefox browser.
  • Backups
    There are chances for an emergency every day. So be prepared. Back up your data on a regular basis. If you burn it to DVDs from time to time, use a cloud-drive or a professional network backup system is your choice.
  • Brains
    It's no joke! You really need one of those things. :) It is very important not just to click anywhere it is colored or flashing while you surfing on the web. Do not click an OK button on any popping window without reading what it says. While installing software always choose the custom mode, read what those windows says and uncheck adware that will be installed along the software you want.
I refreshed my computer and lost so much i have working to get back. I back up every week, but did it on Macrium Reflect and I can't just get my "bookmarks" back. I have been working all day to get printer up, etc. I will install wht you recommended.. Thanks. If you know anything about macrium reflect and how to restore from it, please let me know.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI