Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How To Delete a Gmail Addy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Leagyl

Leagyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

Hello i have been using Gmail for a few years, a few weeks back i started getting all this spam from adult sites, worst is they think i am a man, they all go into my spam folder i probably get around 20 a day. I have started another Gmail account and wish to delete the old addy but from what i have read it looks like it deletes all from Google, so i am not game to do anything until i find the correct way to do it, i sent a letter to Google but feel they will not answer. So if there is a kind person here that would be able to advise me how to get rid of the old Gmail account i would appreciate it. Below is a pic of some of the trash i get. Spam__21____j704613_gmail.com___Gmail.png

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

Not quite sure what your worried about losing by doing this, I haven't done it myself, but a quick search showed me why you may be in doubt as to what to do, I guess the main question here has to be is there anything you want to keep ?

Here is a guide, that may be clearer than you may have found so far, it may help you answer your own question, if you still have any doubts please let us know a bit more about this, and we will do what we can, but if you do please say if it is purely the email you want to ditch, or the complete account associated with that email.

The sad news with such spam, is once you start to get it that's the top of the slippery slope, you can set up filters to auto remove such emails, but you will always end up adding to it as the spam grows, the ONLY way to stop it is shut the account, as you are doing, BUT, unless you learn to keep on the lookout it's highly possible you will end up having to do this again.

The greatest ways of getting on spam lists is by not paying attention to tick boxes, and posting your Addy on open sites for all to see, if you post it on a forum, anyone can get it, and there are automated searches by spam list makers to look for published addresses, it's big business.

But not watching out for tick boxes when signing forms etc. can also get you out in the open, and although you may not be in the malicious spam lists, it's often the start of how you get there, so watch out for ANYTHING that talks about 3rd parties, passing details on and the like, because even though that company may only select what they deem to be responsible places, it doesn't mean that down the line they won't be as careful as to who gets such details.

So my rule of thumb is NEVER agree to 3rd party rules, make sure check boxes are marked appropriately, it's not as simple as a blanket rule, you have to watch out, because some places check such boxes by default, in which need they need unchecking, other places make it so you have to check a box to opt out, so you have to be on the ball.
Even on the phone you have to be aware, the second they ask about my details, the first thing I say, and get them to confirm is that it is only for their details, because you can't see any check boxes on a phone, so you need to assume they do have such check boxes, and make sure they are aware of your feelings before giving them anything, none of this is a guarantee you will never get spam again, but it will be a big help in stopping it from starting, hope this helps.

Braindead

#3 Leagyl

Leagyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

Hello 8210 Guy, Thankyou for giving me that info, i am too tired now but will attempt to delete the addy tomorrow, thanks again i appreciate it :thumbup: