This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Can't get any programs to open

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I have a Dell Optiplex GX 270 series desktop computer. Running Windows XP with sp3. And, I use Firefox, the latest version. Yesterday I tried to install Yahoo Messenger but my computer wouldn't let me, it kept telling me I needed to clear at least 100mb of space to be able to download it. I have a 500gb hard drive and its only about a quarter of the way full. So, I have plenty of room and not sure why it was saying that. I ran the Clean up and defragement to try and make some room. Then, I tried uninstalling some programs I didn't use but it still kept telling me to clear 100mb. So, I tried downloading yahoo messenger from another site. After I downloaded it I scanned it and it said it didn't find anything wrong. So, I installed it but it wasn't just yahoo messenger, it was several messengers in one. I didn't like it so I uninstalled it. After I uninstalled it, all my program icons changed and they all look the same now(with .lnk) and when I click on any programs/files it won't open them. I keep getting a Windows message saying that Windows can't open the file. It says ….. To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online and look it up automatically or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. Then it gives a choice of if I want to go online to look or look on my computer. I'm not sure if when I did the uninstall, if it might have uninstalled something that it shouldn't have. But, now I don't know what to do. I can't open any programs/files. I looked around online for some help but most of the things want you to download something. I can download things but I can't open or run them Also, I can't restore either. I can't get into most things. Also, I've been having some trouble with my security scans. I have F-Secure security(beta) and the scans won't always scan(but it says my computer is protected). I contacted F-Secure a couple times but haven't gotten a reply yet. Sometimes if I reboot the scan will work but sometimes it doesn't either. I was able to download TDSSKiller and I ran a scan but it said it didn't find anything. I'm afraid to get offline or to restart/shut down my computer in fear that it will not work at all after. Most of the files its says it can't open are .exe, .cmd, .lnk and some others. Do you happen to have any idea what might have happened? And/or do you happen to know how to fix this, to get my computer working correctly(to be able to open my programs/files) again? While I was looking around online for some help, I found something that said to try and open My Computer, then Tools, then Folder Options, then File types, then to make sure the exe wasn't listed. Then click the New button and type in exe and click on Application in the drop down box. I tried that and it did help a couple things on my desktop but only a couple things, like the TDSSKiller (Roboform & 1 or 2 other general programs). If you could please help me with this issue, I would really appreciate it. Thank you very much, Mare' p.s. I attached a picture of my desktop to show how all the icons look the same.

Attachments:

You said you can't restore either, what do you mean?

Try opening the Run box (Click Start then Run) and entering %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe then press Enter or click Go. That should start System Restore. Pick a date before this happened.
I'm sorry, I should have clarified what I mean by can't restore….. I meant that I couldn't do a system restore. I followed your instructions and … Wow! that worked! I clicked start, then run and entered what u wrote in red. Then I was able to do a system restore. It worked like a charm. Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help and quick response, Thanks again! Do you happen to have any idea why I keep getting an message box saying I need to clear at least 100mb of space before I can download yahoo instant messenger? On my computer my main drive is the G: drive. When I click on it and click properties it says I have 27,882,436,352 bytes or 25.9gb used space and 83,852,156,928 bytes or 78.0gb free space. I have plenty of free space so I'm wondering why it keeps telling me that I need at least 100mb of free space. Do you think it might just be something with the download itself? If you have time or a chance and have any ideas why it might be saying this and could let me know, I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much again! :D
Hello again, After I restored my computer, I ran a Malwarebytes scan and it came up with a few things. There were 4 things/viruses found. They all have the same/similar name, the first is PUP.Optional.A…. (it doesn't show the rest of the name), File, Location … G:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My….. The next one is PUP.Optional.s….. (again it doesn't show the rest), File, Location … G:\Program Files\Coupons\uninstall.exe The next one is PUP.Optional.s…. (again it doesn't show the rest), Registry Key, Location … HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr… (doesn't show the rest of the link) and the next/last is PUP.Optional.C……(doesn't show any more), Registry Data, Location ….. HKCU/SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explor…. ( doesn't show any more ) then it says Bad:(http://sear…. (doesn't show any more) . Do you happen to have any idea how to correct/get rid of these? Thank you very much again for all your help!
Let our malware gurus take a look . Go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions.

Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: What To Do If You Have No Response In 3 Days?

Do not reply to your post there as the malware folks look for posts with no replies first.

Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here if you have any additional questions or concerns and we can work on the error message if it's not alreaduy fioxed.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI