I've looked at so many things online tonight that I'm just really confused. Could someone please help me? My older sister recorded something for me on her DVR (direct TV) and its a live concert from my favorite band. I would like to be able to keep it, she has no intentions of doing so (i do not live with her), she only recorded it for me. Please help me out on how to do this. I read something that said an ethernet cable would suffice, but then my laptop doesn't even register that there is a new device hooked up so that didn't work. And there there's other things about a video capture device? and s-video? I have no idea what any of this means. I'd just like to be able to relive these moments. I do have a DVD burner, so once I get it onto my computer I could figure that part out. I'm really frustrated, and please know that I'm not very tech savvy. I mean my whole family thinks I am, but when it comes to this portion of it i guess not so much! Thanks to anyone that even tries to help!
to get it from the dvr onto your laptop your going to need a capture device of some type, because you have a laptop the device will have to be a usb device and not a pci/pci-e card device that plugs into a pc's motherboard.
now not knowing all the details about where you live or the make of dvr your trying to record from, whether it's a digital or an analogue signal that you'd be trying to capture, i can't say with 100% certainty that the above device will work for you, but think it should.
all you do is plug the tv capture device into your laptop and connect the output from the dvr into it, install the supplied software onto your laptop then run a scan to find what channel the dvr outputs on, then play the video on the dvr and watch and record it on your laptop.
don't forget it is illegal to make backup copies of any material that you don't own, and the site does not condone such behaviour.
thanks, if i could have gotten the channel it played on i wouldnt be in this sitution. comcast doesn't offer it even if i were to upgrade me packages. unfortunately, $70 for that isnt something i can swing. theres no other way?
without knowing the exact make/model of the dvr then any suggestions i make might or might not work, but yes there are usually other options available to you but the tv capture card one is the one most likely to work regardless of dvr make/model, connections available, etc.
you might also be able to do what you want with just a usb cable if the dvr has a usb port on it and just do a direct copy of the file from one device to the other, then again it is also a possibility that the suppliers of the dvr might have disabled the usb port so even if it is there you won't be able to transfer files to the pc this way, same applies more or less for both firewire and esata cable connections too.
as for using just an ethernet cable to transfer the file tho, then no i can't say i know if that is possible or not, i don't think so but could very well be wrong and again would probably depend on the dvr.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI