Hi, 58 YO newbie here. I've been reading this topic, but do not see my specific problem. I did try the Java fix at the beginning of this thread, but still having the problem.
Our family has 4 Windows 7 computers; a Dell, an Asus, an HP and a Gateway. The same issue with Java is occurring on each of the computers. I rely on computer coupons as our family is on a very limited budget. This is how I first encountered problems with Java. Several of the coupon supplier companies use printing software powered by Java. First one, then another, and now all coupons powered by Java refuse to print. I get the error message that either I don't have Java or simply a 'get Java' message with an embedded link to install the most recent version of Java. Each time I try to install on any one of the four computers, I get the message that:
"This installation package could not open. Please verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that it is a valid Windows installer package"
I have removed Java over and over and tried to install the 32 and 64 bit of version 7 and gone back to install version 6. Each time I get the same error message. I have searched and tried to remove every bit of Java on the computers that I can find, but still a new install will not work.
This evening I downloaded the Java fix program in this thread and followed the instructions to remove the old version. When it brings up the uninstall log, it is a blank notepad file. I have tried going into regedit but I am super tech ignorant, I have no idea what I'm doing and fear I will remove the wrong thing.
I guess my first question is, how Java could get corrupted on all 4 of our computers. Second, how can I be sure it is completely uninstalled, and why can I not reinstall on any of the computers? I have current Kaspersky virus software, and have even tried turning it off before re-installing with the same results.
This problem is really frustrating and is costing our family money in missed savings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for offering this forum.
In all reality - this JavaMSIFix is pretty much obsolete at this point. This was designed for Java 6, which has been replaced by Java 7 for many, many months now. JavaMSIFix certainly was NOT designed to fix your problem.
Let me preface my instructions with: Be very careful of what you are downloading from these coupon sites. Almost every one of them are complete and utter adware, spyware, malware pushing garbage. That's probably why Java is broken.
Thank you so much for replying so quickly.
I actually found that link earlier in the thread and tried it. The tool seems to be checking the registry for patch problems. Whether choosing ' trouble installing' or 'trouble uninstalling', the list of programs that comes up does not include Java, so I check not listed. After a few seconds the message comes up that no problems were found.
Would Kaspersky not alert if the coupon printers had viruses or adware? I get regular alerts about sites or images, etc.
What do you think could be blocking the installation of Java 7, as I am getting it directly from the java.com website?
It appears to be a problem with your user profile. I don't know what you did on each machine that caused the problem - but I'm sure there is something in common.
Create a new user account and try to install Java from there. It will probably work.
You'll just have to copy over the data from the old user account and start fresh. You can find the old data under c:\users\. Just copy the data from Documents, Pictures, etc. into its equivalent folder under your new user account. Here's a little help, although I don't fully agree with the instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows…ed-user-profile - Skip Steps 3 and 4 under the "copy files to a new user profile" section - you only want to copy "Documents, Pictures, Movies, Favorites, Music, Desktop and Downloads" - there is most likely nothing else of any importance.
To answer your question about Kaspersky. It is an anti-virus. It is designed to stop viruses. Adware and spyware is something you usually choose to put on your computer and isn't actually "malicious." Therefore, your anti-virus will not stop it. When I say "choose," - I mean these goofballs require you to install their garbage on your computer to use their software. Here's a good rule of thumb - if the site requires you to install software on your computer - such as a toolbar, or plugin in order to use it - FIND A DIFFERENT SITE. If all they need is Java - that's probably OK. You just have to get it working again.