This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Backup and Restore - Windows 7

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I recently bought a Windows 7 system, and I am migrating from a Windows XP system. I am learning more and more about Windows 7 every day. But I still don't understand the backup/restore process in Win 7.

I know I need to back up my data. I prefer for it to be encrypted and possibly compressed with versioning. When/if restored, the FOLDERS as well as the files should maintain their date/time stamps. I'd like to be able to go back several versions of a file if I've backed it up several times. Also, I like to be able to restore to an alternate folder rather than the original location, and to pick and choose which folders and/or files I'm restoring

It should be very easy to understand and use.

It should handle multiple users. (I created several accounts on the new Windows 7 system)

Recommendations? Does anyone know if these meet my needs?

Related, but not a whole backup program, I think: DAEMON Tools Pro. I'm not sure what it does, actually, or what role it would play in backup.

Alex Feinman's ISO recorder might also be helpful - I think it creates a .ISO image from a folder. I'm not sure what good that does. Does an ISO image preserve date/time stamps? if I then used 7-zip to encrypt the ISO file with a password, and then I moved it to an external hard drive, that could serve my purpose?
http://alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

I think all of the pieces of that process are free except the extra drive; I'm not sure it is very easy or obvious… I would have to write the process out for myself and probably keep a handwritten copy of what I'd done on what dates (what good does it do to have an electronic copy of that information if the hd fails?)

I already know how to use Clonezilla to make a copy of my whole hard drive, and to restore the whole hard drive. But that's like doing surgery with a sledgehammer instead of a laser beam.

I found this interesting article at ESET:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear…lient=firefox-a

Synchronization software doesn't necessarily provide versioning. Or encryption.

thank you,
Linda

Hi Linda,

There are many routes to achieve what you have set out, some are easier than others…

1 If you take a disc image using Acronis, and keep it on an external hard drive, and make a bootable CD capable of booting your computer (in case Windows should ever not be able to boot, perhaps because of virus of file damage/corruption) you will have completed the initial step.


2 The next step is to perform incremental disc images (that image the files that have changed since the last image was made) so the file size of the increments is kept as small as possible, and therefore the external hard drive is filled up less quickly . Its your choice as to when you take the incremental images…. some days you may not do any work, at all, (vacations etc) others you may want to incrementally image every day or every half day etc… You can therefore set Acronis to schedule the regular imaging on a time base or just do ad hoc images to suit your own work/usage patterns.

3 Acronis should preserve the date/time stamp , folder hierarchy, allow individual files or folders to be "restored" but as to saving different versions of the same file I think you will need to do your own research as I have no personal experience of this, having never felt the need to do this (and neither have any of my customers…although I am aware that some folks find it a useful technique to employ)
Edit: Good news Linda, "versioning" works OK… have a look here:
http://forum.acronis.com/forum/10530
and in particular the post from Ilya (Acronis forum moderator)

4 Acronis can set the desired level of compression (the less compression used the larger the file size of the images, the greater the compression the smaller the file size but more time is needed to do the job, so a judgement call is needed here to determine the optimum job time/file size storage capacity available equation….

5 I have focused on Acronis as this is the imaging software with which I have the greater experience, but other than as an ordinary customer I have no "interest" in the firm or its products

When considering storage capacity, in these days of multi terrabyte storage devices) or if using "on line" facilities the data security/upload/download speed/bandwidth/legislative/code of conduct "rules" should be taken into consideration. The details of how the on line files servers are controlled, by whom and (backed up!) is well worth some thought. There is also the question of potential transfer of on line files across your sovereign country's borders perhaps to areas of the world where a different set of cultural norms apply……, and where legislative protection is quite different… Governments in various parts of the world will sometimes claim access to your private files and this can occur covertly and without court order….. as always its your call…

I advise my customers that a back up does not exist unless there are at least 3 copies of everything (and secured on different media) and with at least one copy kept safe offsite on personally controlled removable media…. so when it comes to storage requirements for your back ups at least 3 times the capacity and job time should be considered…

Regards

paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI