Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Lag spikes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ycripps

ycripps

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hiya, I really hope some one can help me. Over the past 2 weeks i have been getting lag spikes and they have been progressively worse, before that we were having IP conflicts but that seems to be sorted now. Me and my husband both play online games, EQ2 at the moment, and are both connected through wired adapters in same room, as the router is downstairs. Now when he is not on his PC I don't get any lag but the minute he logs in they start., and they can last as long as 10-15 secs. I changed adapters, ethernet cables, router and now I have a new PC too, but I am still getting them. My son also uses adapter on top floor with no problems and neither does my husband suffer. So even though I have changed everything including the PC nothing has changed. I had a guy from BT change the socket today and my speed went up but again the minute my husband logged in to game the lag spikes started again :( Any help would be greatly appreciated as no one seems to know whats wrong. many thanks Yvonne.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

Hi yvonne, and welcome to the WTT forums.

I think this is going to be a tricky problem to resolve over a forum, but let's see if we can make some suggestions that will help:

the following steps are a little time consuming but should give us a better idea
of what is going on, and i'm setting these out below for your consideration.

1 Check that your ADSL Modem/Router/Wireless Access Point is plugged into the BT master socket (the one with a horizontal bar engraved in the plastic half way up it, try plugging in the RJ11 cable from your router to the test socket that is behind the face plate of the BT master socket (you will need to undo the 2 small screws that hold the face plate on) and gently ease the face plate away so you can access the BT test socket that lies behind it.

2 Check that there is an ADSL filter/plugged into each BT socket throughout your home (including the master socket) this applies to every phone socket throughout the house and includes the Sky one/answerphone etc if you have these.
Note if you have a master filter on the BT master socket then you should remove any other filters from any other BT extension sockets..... if you are connected to BT Infinity or any other high speed or ultra high speed fibre optic cable, or "Cable Internet" then please advise.

3 Please swop over temporarily your computer for your husbands use the same port on the switch or hub that you normally use and see if there is any difference (we are trying to establsih here if its the network in your home that is at fault (as seems most likely) or your computer.

4 Next try your computer on the upstairs connection that your son uses..... is there any difference when your husband logs in... or have the lags gone?

5 Please advise how the Router is connected to your sons computer your computer and your husbands...? One ethernet cable into the switch or hub or 3 from the router serving each computer individually?
Presumably you have switches or hubs...have you tried power cycling them as well as your router and your computer?
NOTE if you are using a hub rather than a switch then your bandwidth will be shared twix all 3 computers and this could point in the direction of a fix.

6 Please go here ( link below) on your computer and test your broadband speed and report back with the download and upload speeds being achieved (let us know if your husband or son is also logged in as it would be useful to have speeds with you only logged in to compare with those achieved when your husband is also logged in.
www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk

Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 01 June 2013 - 03:46 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 ycripps

ycripps

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

Thank very much for ur reply, I will Starr checking those off the list now,. All desktops are cabled to power adapters which are cabled to the router. Will try PC elsewhere today, tnx again :)

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:32 AM

Hi Yvonne. Just to confirm... the "power adapters" you mention...are these a home networking appliance that uses the 230v domestic electricity suppy cabling to provide the home network?

Like these:
http://www.ebuyer.co...pla4201-gb0201f
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 ycripps

ycripps

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:44 AM

Yes they are.