This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

svchost file...very hungry!

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have a problem with my windows xp PC. There is a svchost.exe file that is consuming my PCs resources. It seems to take over within a few minutes. It just hit over 1,000,000 k of mem usage and nearly 100% of the CPU. I have used malware bytes , super antispyware, spybot search, tweaking and cc cleaner. All came up with different viruses and files that were deleted. But still I have this bogging down of my system. Some programs sit forever to do a command. Sometimes I go into task manager and delete the svchost file that is being greedy just so the other programs have a chance to work. Even though I delete the file…it just comes back within a few seconds and starts to use up all available resources. Safe mode helps to stop it, but safe with networking let's the svchost file take over. I'm tempted to format the whole drive and start again, but I have a lot of old programs that I don't have the key codes for anymore, or they were downloaded so I would rather not do the formatting. Even if I did format I don't know if it will clear this nasty problem. i have attached a screen shot showing what was going on inside the svchost file at that time, i dont know if it is always the same. Thanks for the help
Hello,
Welcome to WhatTheTech. My name is mowman, and I will be helping you fix your problems.

If you do not make a reply in 3 days, we will have to close your topic.

You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the Options button at the top bar of this topic and Track this topic. The topics you are tracking can be found by clicking on My Topics at the top of any page.

Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:

•Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools. Doing so could cause changes to the directions I have to give you and prolong the time required. Further more, you should not be taking any advice relating to this computer from any other source throughout the course of this fix.
•If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.
•Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean". We do not want to clean you part-way, only to have the system re-infect itself.
•Please reply using the button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply.
Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post





Please download TDSSKiller.zip
  • Extract it to your desktop
  • Double click TDSSKiller.exe
  • Press Start Scan
    • Only if Malicious objects are found then ensure Cure is selected
      If suspicious objects are found select skip
    • Then click Continue > Reboot now
  • Copy and paste the log in your next reply
    • A copy of the log will be saved automatically to the root of the drive (typically C:\)












  • Download OTL to your desktop.
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Under Custom Scan paste this in

    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    C:\Windows\assembly\tmp\U\*.* /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply.
  • You may need two posts to fit them both in.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI