This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

The Internet only works on Safe Mode

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I backed up my computer, and ran Puppy. While running Puppy, I clicked on Browse and tried accessing youtube or google but nothing worked. I didn't touch any settings.
Hisapir7
Ok, Can you connect to the Internet using Puppy? try www.bbc.co.uk

you should connect with the Ethernet cable in place (dont use a wireless connection)

If you cant connect using Puppy then its likely that there is a hardware fault that we will be unable to resolve over the forum…

However:
There are still a few things we need to eliminate as being potential Windows/software/harddrive problems so we will continue with those as soon as you get back to us.
Regards
paws
I use a normal PC and an Ethernet cable. I tried a few websites but there was no access. What's interesting is that if there is something wrong with hardware, then how come the internet works on safe mode? What doesn't come up on safe mode that's related to hardware?
Hi sapir7

You make agood point, I had overlooked that you can acess the Internet OK in safe mode…( Its very curious that you cannot access the Internet using Puppy… if you are doing it correctly then it should connect via Puppy unless there is a hardware fault….. however as you righly say Windows safe mode does the trick… ver curious…. here's my thoughts for your consideration:

It seems clear therefore that something that maybe is loading at startup in normal mode but not in safe mode is a likely culprit….

All we have to do is to find it..! or them :rofl:


Here's my "canned speech" on the steps you could take before considering either a "restore to factory" or a format and reinstall using your original Microsoft Windows installation discs.
Safe mode with networking

I think the key to the issue may be found in that safe mode withnetworking works fine but as soon as you boot into normalmode Internet access is not available

2 We can deduce therefore that something that is loading in normal mode (butnot in safe mode) may be at the heart of the problem.

3 It may of course be necessary in the final analysis to restore your computerto its out of the box or "factory" state, so the fact that your backups are 100% accurate, up to date, comprehensive, and reproducible is goodnews. To be on the safe side double check them….andthen keep an extra copy safe offsite on removablemedia (an external USB hard drive is good)

4 before we consider the severe measure of a "factory restore" letssee if we can help you zero in on the part of the starting and early running ofyour computer that is causing the problem.

5 You will need paper and pencil to help keep track of the items we are going to disable (sounds old fashioned Iknow but it does simplify things!)

6 If you boot into Safe Mode with Networking? and it solves the problem,then something is starting at boot up that is causing the problem. We need to zero in on the culprit!

Advancedstartup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
Howto use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
Howto use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record on your sheet of paper, what iscurrently starting, then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.

If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at atime (recording each one on your sheet of paper) till you find the culprit.(you will need to reboot each time…. its tedious and time consuming but wellworth trying!)

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check/Tick the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable Allbutton.

Again, do a boot into normal mode, see if it runs OK and without crashing
If yes then use msconfig to enable services (recording themon your paper as you go) till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate itfrom your system. Simply disablingit in msconfig is a temporary fix atbest.
Enable everything else you disabled.
(Thanks to Rich for the basic canned)

Let us know how you go.

Regards

paws
I've already tried the steps you've mentioned and it didn't work. I tried it again and it didn't work :( I don't know if it's relevant, but when I connect to the internet on normal mode via my mobile phone (through USB) the internet works. There's Local Area Connection 2 in control panel > network and internet > network connections.
Hi sapir7, Ok all understood. I think the next step is for you to cut your losses and "restore to factory"….. however I think it would be wise to advise Jeff over in your Virus and Spyware Removal forum that this is what you are considering. Make sure you are 100% happy with your back ups before proceeding. Regards paws
Hi guys,

I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 2013


Here's something to consider. Since the computer can connect while in safe mode it's very possible the Kaspersky firewall is either corrupt or has a case of amnesia. My suggestion is
  • If Kasperskt FW has a "allow all" or similar setting set it to allow all traffic
  • uninstall Kaspersky FW completely
This wouldn't be the first case of a third party firewall blocking access to the router.
I've uninstalled Kaspersky completely but that didn't solve the problem :/ Thanks for the suggestion, though. paws, what do you mean by "restoring to factory"? Re-installing windows again?
Hi sapir7 That is correct, but please note that the "restore to factory" is a process that formats the hard drive (clears all your stuff out including Windows itself, your applications and your settings, data files etc.,) and reinstalls Windows. Its a severe step to take as it clears your computer both of the bad and the good, its important therefore that you are happy with the reliablility, accuracy and completeness of your back ups before you proceed. Regards paws
Hi paws, I've decided to take my computer to the tech store once again, since I have never restored to factory and I'd rather they do it because I am so frustrated with this problem. I wanted to thank you for your help, you've been great and you replied quickly everytime. :) I'll update you on the situation and if the problem got solved.
Hi sapir7, May be that's a good idea… I am quite a distance away from you and in different a time ….In my workshop its a lot easier with all our test equipment to diagnose quickly the problems and carry out the fix…. maybe therefore your local technician will be able to spot the trouble and fix it in a jiffy… I sure hope so. Yes it would great to hear how you get on. Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI