This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

photo editing software

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I just got windows 8 and am looking for a free photo editing program. There are lots of them, but to resize an image, they only work with pixels, not inches. So if I want a 4 x 6 picture it goes only by pixels. I don't know that stuff. Does anyone know of one that uses inches.. I used to work with PSE and it was great, but is too old for windows 8. I sure would appreciate your help. I have been googling it all day with no success. Thanks.
Hi Patti

Look here.

Don't know if Gimp supports Windows 8 but it does have the "inches" option.

On that web page there is Paint.net which does work with Windows 8. I haven't tried it so don't know what it's like.
Thank you for telling me about Gimp. I didn't download it from that site before, so it loaded fine. And you are right, it does work with inches. I still can't figure out how to get a picture in there to edit, but I will just figure that out. Thanks a lot.
You open a picture by clicking on File, Open then locating the picture you want to open.

If you open Gimp, you'll find a "help" tab at the top on the right. You can click on that and then choose "Gimp online" and choose "User Manual"

You can also find plenty of tutorials if you Google "Gimp tutorials"

Enjoy!

Satchfan
WOW - that is wonderful. before I didn't convert it to RGB, because I had no idea what that is, and didn't get a pic. This time I did convert and the picture showed up and it was the perfect size. I just got a new photoprinter and was upset I couldn't print pics out. On my old computer I had PSE, Thanks again.
I would like to print out another picture just to be sure, could you leave it open for awhile. I will let you know asap. Are you familiar with this program and how it works. Thanks.

Are you familiar with this program and how it works

I have a limited knowledge of it.

could you leave it open for awhile. I will let you know asap

:thumbup:
I resized to an 8 x 10 and it worked great. The only thing I ran into was an error in trying to search for an image. Unfortunately I don't have names for my pics, just very long numbers, so it is hard to pull them up through gimp, so I go to pictures and put them on desktop. Thanks. Here is the error message 📎Capture_gimp.PNG
Patti That is a Gimp error message; not a Windows one so you'll have to deal with Gimp yourself because that is beyond the realms of what we do here. :) Enjoy using and learning it! In case you are interested, there are many forums for Gimp users. Google it and see. :thumbup:
Alright. It seems like a pretty easy program, but after using PSE which was complex, this seems to give the same results with a simpler format. You can close this thread and thank you again.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI