Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet Explorer copies remain open in Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BarryA

BarryA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hello, help requested with IE8. After closing screen webpages, copies of IE still remain open in Task Manager and have to be closed in there. Also when I have several IE pages open, opening some types of further pages will open the new page as another tab on all existing pages open. I have run MalwareBytes with no detections found. I am running XP-SP3 with IE8 with Office 2003 and Avast antivirus. KInd assistance requested please. BarryA

Edited by BarryA, 19 April 2013 - 05:13 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

Try restoring you setting to default and see if that makes any difference.
How to reset Internet Explorer settings

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 BarryA

BarryA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

Hello Lee I have reset IE and given it a try. It seems like it make have fixed the problem so I will see how it goes over the next few days and keep my fingers crossed! thanks BarryA

#4 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Pleased to have been able to help :thumbup:

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#5 BarryA

BarryA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Lee I spoke too soon, I have just opened this link from my Outlook inbox to read your reply and it has opened a tab/page for it against each of the four webpages I already have opened. So I then wondered if it was only happening when I open links from within Outlook inbox mail, but have just clicked a couple of other links within emails and it has only opened a single new webpage. So it is not happening all the time, but I cannot identify any pattern as to when it does happen. I am keeping an eye on my Task Manager, and for the moment have not noticed it retaining any Iexplorer entries after the webpage has been closed. So that may be fixed with resetting IE, time will tell ! hmmmm..........BarryA

#6 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

Try these settings for IE8
http://www.askvg.com...net-explorer-8/

Not sure what setting you want for Open Links From Other Programs

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#7 BarryA

BarryA

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

Thanks, from your reply I will assume you are saying it must be an IE setting. From the setting options in IE8 for Opening Links from Other Programs, the default is set to Open New Tab in Current Window. This may mean that if I have five current pages open already, then it will open the link in a new tab on every page currently open, which is the problem I am incurring. I am not sure why anyone would want to do that as a default, but I will change to the setting to Open Link in New Page and see if that cures it. thanks...........................BarryA