Hello, help requested with IE8.
After closing screen webpages, copies of IE still remain open in Task Manager and have to be closed in there.
Also when I have several IE pages open, opening some types of further pages will open the new page as another tab on all existing pages open.
I have run MalwareBytes with no detections found.
I am running XP-SP3 with IE8 with Office 2003 and Avast antivirus.
KInd assistance requested please.
BarryA
Hello Lee
I have reset IE and given it a try. It seems like it make have fixed the problem so I will see how it goes over the next few days and keep my fingers crossed!
thanks
BarryA
Lee
I spoke too soon, I have just opened this link from my Outlook inbox to read your reply and it has opened a tab/page for it against each of the four webpages I already have opened.
So I then wondered if it was only happening when I open links from within Outlook inbox mail, but have just clicked a couple of other links within emails and it has only opened a single new webpage.
So it is not happening all the time, but I cannot identify any pattern as to when it does happen.
I am keeping an eye on my Task Manager, and for the moment have not noticed it retaining any Iexplorer entries after the webpage has been closed. So that may be fixed with resetting IE, time will tell !
hmmmm……….BarryA
Thanks, from your reply I will assume you are saying it must be an IE setting.
From the setting options in IE8 for Opening Links from Other Programs, the default is set to Open New Tab in Current Window.
This may mean that if I have five current pages open already, then it will open the link in a new tab on every page currently open, which is the problem I am incurring.
I am not sure why anyone would want to do that as a default, but I will change to the setting to Open Link in New Page and see if that cures it.
thanks………………………BarryA
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI