This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Notebook won't stay on after spilling water on it

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have a HP Pavilion dv6, and about a month ago I accidentally spilled water on it, and I didn't think that it had gotten under the keyboard, so I just left it on thinking it would be fine. About 15 minutes later it shut off so I unplugged everything and took it apart the best I could to let it dry out for a couple days. So now it will turn on and everything works fine, but at random times it will just shut off. So far it hasn't stayed on longer than about 4 hours. It seems that the longer I leave it off, the longer it will stay on (usually). I'm planning to take it in to get looked at soon but I wanted to ask on here to see if anyone has any ideas of what could be the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Most likely, irreversible damage has already been done to the motherboard. In other words, the laptop is trash because the cost of the repair is unacceptably high. If you ever spill anything around electronics again, make sure you remove all power sources immediately until the item is thoroughly, 100% dry or take it somewhere to be serviced before trying to use it again. There is a small chance the laptop is just overheating and needs to be cleaned and this whole this is one big coincidence.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI