This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Getting error message using links in Word documents

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I reinstalled Windows lately which means everything was reinstalled. Since then, any MS Word document that I have links in, when I use ctrl+click to open them I get the following error message: 'This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.' I'm the only user on this computer and I haven't set anything on it. Does anyone know what 'the restrictions' would be, or where I start looking? I have tons of documents with links in them and they are very much needed! Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley
Hi hedley,
Its an anooying problem that happens quite a lot….
Here's the information you need:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums…1-2ae68b23ae4e/

I have found that "setting the defaults correctly" and then rebooting, fixes a lot of the problems, but if not then installing/unistalling Chrome (following tyhe instructions in the link, and then rebooting fixes the rest.
Post back and let us know how you get on
Regards
paws
Hi paws Thanks for the reply. I found I had to install Google Chrome to fix the problem. Setting the default programmes didn't work for me. After I restarted the pc, it had reset itself to custom again. I also found that if I uninstalled Chrome, WLM would not work. It said it was either not installed properly, or that my disk was full. But leaving Chrome installed, my email works ok. Go figure! I have never had Chrome or anything else Google on my pc until now, but as someone else in the other article said, if that's what it takes. Thanks very much for the help. It's very much appreciated. hedley
Well, I'm a Chrome lover now, but I have seen this behavior before. I would like to think they have fixed this issue, but Chrome had a nasty habit of not resetting registry settings back to workable defaults when you uninstall Chrome. So, things that it "took over" were broken after you uninstalled it - such as links in Office. It can be fixed though.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI