This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Weird Behavior of Progress Bar while copying files!

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Progress Bar that appears when copying many files from one folder to another is showing weird behavior: Normally, it goes from 0 to 100%. Now, in this process, when it reaches say 70%, it decreases to say 60% and then started progressing to 100% and then done. Can anyone please explain me the reason for this weird behavior? I have video of this process. Please let me know if you want to view the video of this process.
It is hard to say but I suspect because this is a large number of files that, it is recalculating the status as it goes. Frankly, I am not sure I have EVER seen a status bar show the status accurately - and that is not just for copying file, but for just about anything, whether it be copying files, downloading, uploading, installing, scanning, etc. I think the purpose of the status bar is simply to show the user that progress is still going on and that the system has not frozen. If your copying stopped, and never completed, then I would say you have a problem. But since it seems the copying finishes, I would not worry about it.
I would like to see the video. There's a difference between large slowdown of a progress bar/showing inaccurately and going to 70% then going back to 60%. is it HDD or an SSD? How old? If it's a HDD I'd do the regular chkdsk, defragment, do a test with hdtune or some hard drive testing software that might show possible problems.
I note the number of files count keeps going up too so I suspect the problem is more the number of files you are trying to copy at once more so than the size of all the files. This is a very old problem found to be especially troublesome when some of the files have long (not 8.3) file names, and certainly, the amount of RAM available plays a key role in copying performance.

From where to where are you trying to copy? You might have better luck going from computer to computer over a network, rather than drive to drive in the same machine.

What version of Windows?

Note, like most "tools" integrated into Windows, Windows Explorer is a "basic" file management tool that does its job well, but performance is nothing spectacular because it typically does not need to be. For most users and most file management jobs, Windows Explorer is more than adequate. But copying or moving (copy, then delete) several 1000 files at once is not a typical file management job so for those cases, you might try an alternative copy program like Fast Copy, TeraCopy, or Copy Handler.
It is copying from Network Shared Drive to another location in the same drive. It is hosted on Windows Server OS 2008. Can you elaborate the cause of the issue?
There has always been a big problem copying large files, or a large number of files back and forth on the same drive. This is because the read/write head can only be in one place at a time while copying from one drive to another drive allows the OS to read from one while writing to the other at the same time.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI