Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Slow Internet Download Speed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 John7100

John7100

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

The following describes the problem, if I can't resolve this soon I will have to try some reinstall of Vista and my programs which I figure will take 10 hours. Maybe I'll buy a new computer. Any help appreciated.

Symptoms started about 3 weeks ago on Dell Precision 32 bit Q9550 Vista Business 5 years old, IE9, also tried Chrome
Have run about 5 malware & spy & reg & programs & NAV.

• Main symptom is slow upload & download speeds
(sb 50 Mbps down & 10 Mbps up but actual is about 3 mbps each with & without Comcast Blast. Upload sometimes faster. Pardon the formatting.)

* Some internet pages load slowly

• Computer hangs when shutting down sometimes

• Tried Safe Mode with Network and ran the Download Upload Test & got the same speeds of around 3 Mbps.

• Created New User & tried to run IE9 but IE9 was not in the program list of the new user while other programs were

• Ran various Dell Diagnostics http://www.dell.com/...stics/us/en/555
o Components tests
 >>>>>>>>>Hard Drive - “Applicable Device does not exist” Ran the test twice with same result

o Full test - OK

 Motherboard OK

• Memory, System - Advanced Pattern Test - Passed

o Symptom Tests
 Internet Performance Test - OK
 Slow Performance, Lock Ups, Freeze Test - OK

• Also: Windows\system32\wbem\logs\WMITraining.log
o Causes CCleaner to hang on Clear Log Files at this file
o That file does not delete when clicked
o File is 13 mb

• Video Card (nVidia Quadro FX 570) Fan runs constantly & is noisy (chirpy pitch) but doesn't feel hot.

Edited by John7100, 03 April 2013 - 10:41 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

Lets have a look at what your working with, go to the Pit Here, sign up and run their test, once run copy the URL of the results back here, this will enable us to view what you have, and start to suggest things to help improve what you have, but you must sign up, it's free, but unless you sign up the results wont be saved for others to view.
Copy and paste this address into the Admin rights browser.
http://pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

Note:- To do this in Vista, or Windows 7, you MUST launch your browser with Admin rights, to do this right click on your ie launch icon, and select to Run as Admin, then copy and paste the url I gave here into that browser, and sign up and run the tests, once run close the browser, do NOT go to other pages while in Admin mode, it's dangerous as you could pick up all sorts of nasties, just launch your browser normally at all other times, then post the link back here and we can go from there.

Braindead

#3 John7100

John7100

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Done. Looks like I need a Gigabyte driver.

#4 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

You didn't post the URL of the results ?

Braindead

#5 John7100

John7100

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

http://pcpitstop.com...?conid=25291347

#6 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

Right nothing sticks out immediately to me, but I suggest you remove the older versions of Java, the scan shows Java™ 6 Update 27 (6.0.270) and Java 7 Update 13 (7.0.130) being installed, the current version is Java v7 Update 17, and given the latest concerns over Java security, it's important to have only the latest version installed, and some even say not to use it at all, but I don't understand enough to say what is best, but personally I just make sure I'm fully updated all the time, there not much more you can do without going to extreme's.

Overall you seem to have it tied down quite well, although the scan shows your drive as being a weak spot, so while we're at it you may as well run a scan on that, just to make sure there is nothing starting to happen, the scan shows you as having a Hitachi drive, so going by their utility's you need HGST Windows Drive Fitness Test (WinDFT), better to know if something's going on sooner rather than later, and if nothing else if it comes back clean it gives some peace of mind, but that said not all tests report issues correctly, so if you get the feeling something still isn't right, even though this test came back clean, then it wont hurt to use another scan to double check.

Now it also suggests you need 2 new drivers, a SoundMAX driver, and a Broadcom driver, the latter is what controls your internet, well not the net itself, but how you connect to it etc, it could turn out that installing this driver resolves your problem (Read here for how to identify your exact device, check you get the correct driver as there are some exceptions in those available), but there is no guarantees on these things, but can't hurt to try, see how this all goes, and if need be there are further scans to try to find out more, but see how this goes first, hope something here helps.

*edit
Forgot the Java link.

Edited by 8210GUY, 04 April 2013 - 02:02 PM.

Braindead

#7 John7100

John7100

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

New Symptoms Thursday 4/4/13 After uninstalling ie9 & reinstalling I now need Adobe Flash reinstalled. Adobe Flash does not install. Outlook 2003 email hangs after about 34 B of 346 KBl & repeats when Outlook is rebooted. Send/Receive prompt doesn’t help. (Dell Diagnosis of C drive could not start as it could not find the drive.)

Edited by John7100, 04 April 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#8 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

I don't know why you did that, sounds like something got messed up, I suggest using system restore to go back to before you did that, hopefully it will get you back to where you were, at least you were working then, then assuming you get back to your previous state, try the above suggestions, and see if that helps, I'm especially interested to hear the hard drive result, because if that is starting to p[lay up it can cause all matter of issue making you chase shadows, so try and do this and see what the results are.

Braindead

#9 John7100

John7100

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

I uninstalled two out of date Java versions & reinstalled their new version. Also reinstalled Adobe Flash. Rebooted. Reset IE9 to defaults. Now I get 55 Mbps download and 11 Mbps upload. All right! Thank you.

#10 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

I take it that's more like you expect to get then, glad that's sorted then if it is, but I still suggest running the health check on the hard drive, just for peace of mind given it's low score.

Braindead