Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91819 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Trying to restore .dbx files to Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Raising Golden Retrievers; folk-rock and Irish music (what I do); reading; DIY; websites; writing

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

This has been going on since a reinstall of XP Home and of my files from iDrive a couple months ago. Briefly, I can find a ton of .dbx files by Search. When I try to navigate to them sometimes I can't get there. I think from the general instructions and occasional help posts I can find that I might be able to get my emails back where I can see them if I could get to the files. My file tree is really convoluted due to attempts to simplify it over some years; also because, I think, iDrive doesn't necessarily restore that file tree structure when you download. Anyway, I have My Documents within my User Name within Documents and Settings within My Documents..... Considerable redundancy. I cannot sort this out because of the navigation problems. If you want to tackle this, I can provide any manner of detail. If the advice in the end is take the machine to a shop or whizkid or paid tech help, so be it! TIA denno

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:03 AM

Hi denno, sorry to hear of the Outlook Express issue.

See if you can navigate, folder by folder, to the default Outlook Express message store.....

here's the usual sort of location:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{81543432-C9ED-497F-B0EA-35E5151BE3AC}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

You may have to find you own "name" in place of the subfolder that I've marked in red and the ID that I've highlighted in blue may be different on your computer, but it will still be a mighty long string!

This is where all your .dbx files normally should live.....including folders like Inbox, Sent, Outbox, Deleted etc etc

Let me know how you get on.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Raising Golden Retrievers; folk-rock and Irish music (what I do); reading; DIY; websites; writing

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Good afternoon, Paws, and thanks for getting right back, and nice to hear from you. I did start/search (XP Home) for *.dbx, including setting Windows Explorer to show hidden files. Came up with a list of 263 dbxes. Here's a f'rinstance path: C:\Documents and Settings\Denno\My Documents\Documents and Settings\Denno\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{42BOE631-4EDF-8A3C-C823CED957EC}\Microsoft\Outlook Express Hm. Just got a good result. Navigated to that file thru WE, and behold! a long list of the presumed files I want to reinstall. (Yesterday I had some experiences of such navigation only to end up with a choice of two other Long Numbers, not that one). The files are labeled as .dbx, and have various sizes up to a quarter-gig in "Sent Items." So it would appear they are not null listings. OK, when I just tried to get there through file/import in OE, I got to the OE folder above, no details, and when I clicked Next, I got this error: "No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open. Please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open." That's as far as I seem to get. I should say this about convolutions: 1) the demo above shows how I've gotten tremendous redundancy, through various stages, into My Documents. 2) when I got OE reloaded in the restoration this time, first it wasn't downloading from my main email, just the other two. After much fussing, one of the techs at my ISP walked through and changed a couple of settings and fixed that. On the way to "Apply" and "OK," OE asked me if I wanted to do something in accordance with the changes I'd just made. I thoughtlessly clicked "yes" and it gratuitously set up an "identity," which I've never before bothered with. So now the file tree on the left had two places to download to. There's where I should have left it alone and set up the identity to accept all the emails; but I fussed around and ended up deleting the identity...and the 180 emails I'd just brought in, and all the other things I'd transferred into it as well. That's where I sit, and also it will have added some new .dbx files which I suppose I will have to sort out by date. Or something. Anyway, at the moment, it seems the files are in the computer, but I can't seem to open them into OE. I have thought maybe I should uninstall/reinstall OE. ?? Not wedded to OE. Works fine for me, but I see MS has moved on for some reason. That's the mess as of 1:07 PM! denno

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hi denno, Ok I understand...its not a happy situation, but there is a chance ( a slim one!) we may be able to rescue something.... Here's a suggestion for you.... You may need to repeat this procedure with each of the identities that you have set up and keep a note of the location that is holding your .dbx files 1 identify the folder that should be holding your .dbx files. (here's how...) 2 open Outlook Express and make sure that you only have one version open and that is for your Main identity (... you can open Task Manager and make sure there is only one instance of msmism.exe running....) 3 On Outlook Express, click on Tools>Options>Maintenance>Store folder 4 that should provide you with the normal path for the store folder, so copy it all and paste into notepad so you have a permanent record 5 find all your other dbx files and import them into that location... See if that helps Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

HEY! Got (most of) it back! Trying to move .dbx files into the store folder did not seem to do anything. However, it offers the option of changing the store folder. I did a couple of cautious tests (hmmm...how uncharacteristic): 1) copied the contents of a couple e-mails I wanted to save out of the dozen that were currently in the in-box 2) made a new folder and put a few dbxes in there from the old store file A) changed the store file to that in OE, and the saved stuff showed up 3)copied all the dbxes into the new folder as a safety copy 4) changed the store folder in OE to the very full one and clicked the option to use the current contents of that folder---not overwrite it! 5) stuff showed up. Now what I have to do is search around and find the most recent batch (or two batches?) of inbox files and figure out how to incorporate them into the main one. Or rename them and add them to the file tree and then sort them into the other folders. Or something. I'll try looking for them tomorrow. Likely they are in the list of 263 already searched out. Let you know. Thanks for your help. denno

Edited by denno, 26 March 2013 - 11:37 PM.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:00 AM

Hi denno, Well done. :thumbup: Glad you got some of them back. It looks like you are on the right track... Keep at it! Regards paws

#7 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Got it. Wasn't hard to pick out the dbx I still needed, e-mails from feb 10 - mar 25. Tried just renaming it (inbox1.dbx) and adding it to the files in the store folder. Didn't seem to show up anywhere. So I moved all those stores into yet another folder and switched to it for the OE store. Then --- this is the clever part! --- I created a sub-folder in my correspondence folder, called "nobody." It did not seem to create a dbx file in the store folder. So I moved an e-mail into it, looked in store again, and there was nobody.dbx. THEN through a few steps I copied the inbox.dbx I wanted to add, renamed it nobody.dbx, deleted the original nobody.dbx and put the new one in its place. Opened OE again and there, in the nobody folder, were the 250 e-mails I needed back. Hooray! Thanks for setting me on the right track, Paws. I dunno where you mark a thread "solved." denno

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:39 AM

Hi denno, Brilliant solution :thumbup: We'll leave the topic open ..for ever! Hopefully the search engines will find it, index it and folks who have similar problems in the future will bless the name of denno when they come across your solution! Regards paws

#9 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

I would be so proud. In fact, though, I can't think that in my Google searches for solutions to things I've ever been led to this forum. I find other forums, often the "pop" ones like CNET and Ask.com, where subjects have been discussed, but never this one. Think it's a search engine thing? Could it be kicked into noticing Whatthetech?

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:41 AM

Hi denno, we do get quite a lot of "visitors" from searches done for specific questions I'm not sure of the numbers but see quite a few folks referring to them in their questions... Regards paws

#11 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

Well, that's good, then. (Maybe I google the wrong questions.....) Regards, denno

#12 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

nothing but spam trying to get you to buy their software in my opinion and post should be deleted.

:popcorn:

#13 Child

Child

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:16 AM

Hey denno,

Damaged DBX files can be repaired by executing a manual process. Before starting the execution of the manual process, you need to find and locate corrupt DBX files. Steps to find the location are:

1. Click Start + R. Type regedit and click Enter
  2. Registry Editor window will appear. Expand the folders in left panel:HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Identities>XYZ>Software>Microsoft>Outlook Express>5.0
  3. On the right panel, navigate to Store Root and double click. You will get the path of DBX files, copy the path.

After locating the file, you need to follow some more steps given in:

nalavadebela[dot]wordpress.com/2014/04/25/feasible-technique-to-repair-damaged-dbx-files-of-outlook-express/

This process is based on importing DBX files to Outlook Express and regain its accessibility. It will help you.

Thanks.

Edited by Child, 10 May 2014 - 05:18 AM.