I've got a problem with my PC. It's a Compaq Presario SR5710F and for it is experiencing several problems - namely shutting down when it's been idle for longer than 15 minutes, and shutting down at start up. For the former, to prevent a shut down when I'm not actively using the computer, I activate a long running program; thus far this has worked. For the latter, everyday for weeks now, the computer will shut down at start up. Then a couple of things can happen:
1. Upon pressing the power button (on the second attempt), Windows will start normally
2. It will shut down again and I wait a few minutes before going again which could then lead to Windows starting normally
3. It will open with an option for repair or starting Windows (Vista) normally. I always choose "repair" when presented with those options. Unfortunately, there are times when it shuts down even in repair. When this happens, I wait a moment then press the power button again. This usually causes the computer to again give the option for starting Windows normally or starting repair. With repair, the computer runs a check and then starts normally. Yet, the next time I must turn the computer on, it happens again.
Hardware diagnostics, which runs every Sunday, never finds any problems with my computer. I've performed system restore (setting the computer back to the earliest possible date) but to no avail.
Could a virus be to blame? I've got Avast! installed on my computer and it's been very good at detecting and removing malware and viruses that have tried to install themselves on my computer, but I wonder if something could be getting past the tool this time.
I've downloaded SpeedFan but I have no idea what the program is doing with regards to my temps. Fan 1 is reading 1570 RPM, temp 1 varies from 42 degrees C to 48 degrees C. Temp 2 is 48 degrees C; temp 3 is 25 degrees C. How is this information going to be useful for determining how to prevent computer shut down? I also have Windows Vista; I don't see it listed amongst the Windows for which SpeedFan is compatible.
I believe this must be a virus because the exact same thing is happening to me - HP Workstation x2100. Yesterday every time I tried to boot-up, it would shut down within 5-10 seconds. Today it booted up but after aprox. 15 minutes the PC shut down
I'm new to this so I don't know if the techs will see this - if not, how can I respond to 'seekinginfo5' and the techs to let them know we all feel this is not a hardware issue but rather a virus?
Hello,
I've got a problem with my PC. It's a Compaq Presario SR5710F and for it is experiencing several problems - namely shutting down when it's been idle for longer than 15 minutes, and shutting down at start up. For the former, to prevent a shut down when I'm not actively using the computer, I activate a long running program; thus far this has worked. For the latter, everyday for weeks now, the computer will shut down at start up. Then a couple of things can happen:
1. Upon pressing the power button (on the second attempt), Windows will start normally
2. It will shut down again and I wait a few minutes before going again which could then lead to Windows starting normally
3. It will open with an option for repair or starting Windows (Vista) normally. I always choose "repair" when presented with those options. Unfortunately, there are times when it shuts down even in repair. When this happens, I wait a moment then press the power button again. This usually causes the computer to again give the option for starting Windows normally or starting repair. With repair, the computer runs a check and then starts normally. Yet, the next time I must turn the computer on, it happens again.
Hardware diagnostics, which runs every Sunday, never finds any problems with my computer. I've performed system restore (setting the computer back to the earliest possible date) but to no avail.
Could a virus be to blame? I've got Avast! installed on my computer and it's been very good at detecting and removing malware and viruses that have tried to install themselves on my computer, but I wonder if something could be getting past the tool this time.
don't reply to your own topic until you get a response.
the malware team are so busy they only look for new posts with 0 reply's so if you add a reply they may miss your topic.
I've downloaded SpeedFan but I have no idea what the program is doing with regards to my temps. Fan 1 is reading 1570 RPM, temp 1 varies from 42 degrees C to 48 degrees C. Temp 2 is 48 degrees C; temp 3 is 25 degrees C. How is this information going to be useful for determining how to prevent computer shut down? I also have Windows Vista; I don't see it listed amongst the Windows for which SpeedFan is compatible.
SpeedFan is a confusing program for those not in the know. A far better temp. program (includes voltages too which is important) is CUPID Hardware Monitor
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI