This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Cannot Open

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello everyone, :wavey:
my machine is a Compaq Presario and I am currently running windows xp and have been for about 3 years now. One day I was doing a lot of web searching going here and there, clicking on this and that having multiple windows opened, next thing I knew, my pc froze and I was unable to shut it down, so I had to unplug it. Every since then, whenever I reboot my machine it tells me windows cannot start up properly and that IT doesn't know why, but wants me to tell it what caused the problem, and gives me 4 or 5 options of how I would like to start windows, such as start windows in safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, etc. I have rebooted using most of the options, and none of them seem to work since I myself am not sure what caused the problem.
I also have a lag problem, when I click on something it takes a long time to open up. I recently contracted a virus (worm) and Tomk worked with me painstakingly to get it eradicated. We did tons of work on it. Right now the speed seems ok, so the lag comes and goes. (seems to get worse when I'm running multiple programs - using dial up) If you would like to know anything I may have forgotten to explain here, please feel free to look here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/pls_help_me_t100847.html It's my last thread. any help on this matter would be VERY much appreciated,TY :)


newbe17 :popcorn:
"I have rebooted using most of the options, and none of them seem to work"

1) Did you try "Last known good configuration"? If so what was the result?

2) Did you try "Safe Mode" followed by "System Restore"?
Hi Newbie17,

Are you using the problem computer to post here with your issue?

I would be hesitant to do a System Restore as you have only today been cleared of Malware on your computer by TomK.

I have the following suggestions:

If you can boot to desktop, please download and run Fresh Diagnose and post your system specs here to this thread. Particularly the amount of RAM installed.

If you can boot to desktop follow below and do a PCPitstop full test and post the URL here in this thread for us to analise and help you with your problem.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here:

http://www.pcpitstop.com
Note: Vista users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"
Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.
Full Tests is the first item in the left hand column of that page.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.
Once you have your Results, please post the TechExpress Link back here into this thread for review.
TechExpress is the last item on the list in the yellow box in upper right area of any Results page.
Post the entire URL link information back here into this Forum thread.
Note: Vista users, please close your instance of IE "Running as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are "flashed" onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.
Since WTT is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.

Eventviewer may also shed some light on the situation:

To discover the type of Errors the machine has encountered recently, use Event Viewer.

  • Go to Start - Run, type eventvwr.msc, then Press Enter.
  • When the Event Viewer opens, there will be two panes.
    The left pane is for event categories (Application, Security, and System).
    The right pane is for event messages (Information, Warning, and Error). (We want to find errors.)
  • Left-click the Application category in the left pane and check for any error messages in the right pane.
    You want to find the one(s) that occurred at the same time your system encountered the problem you have posted about.
  • Repeat the previous step for each category, or until you find an appropriate error to investigate.
  • Double-click the error message to bring up the information.
  • Click the third button on the right side of the information window (copies information)
  • Paste the information here
Keep us posted :thumbup:

Regards
jephree, I tried last good configuration and nothing changed. My restore point was just reset. Tomk and i did that yesterday, so I don't see where that would help me, but thanks :) newbe17
Hello, tallin :) The answer to your question is yes - I am using the problem computer. I have 224 mb of ram installed in this machine. I can't get the fresh diagnosis just yet because my wife knows the e-mail addy thats not free, I don't use it, I use yahoo free e-mail, and they say not to.

I can't get the fresh diagnosis just yet because my wife knows the e-mail addy thats not free, I don't use it, I use yahoo free e-mail, and they say not to.

I do not understand your reply in quotes above - I mean, what does an email address have to do with downloading and installing Fresh Diagnose?

They say not to

not to do what?

I would say the having multiple windows open as you stated in your first post caused the computer to lag or freeze with the low amount RAM installed. Is it possible to aquire more RAM?

Can you run the PCPitstop test as an alternative or post any errors in Event Viewer so I can assist you further? The PCPitstop scan will tell the story if you would post it….thanks

kind regards,
tallen, sorry about that reply, I was getting very tired, I looked back at the post and laughed at myself because I couldn't make sense of it either :blush: What I was attempting to say, was : They wanted me to use a non free e-mail address to sign up for the use of their product, and I could not recall the e-mail addy that my wife and I use together. She knows it, but she was already asleep in bed. You see, when you download their product, they have it set up so you have to give them your e-mail address in order for them to "send you a password" opening up the product for my personal use.Thank you for your attention to this matter, tallen. newbe17
Here is the link where you need to put in your email address, any email address. There is this instruction

Avoid using free email accounts.

Just ignore that instruction if you still want to install the software which is a most useful program.

I will leave you with doing the PCPitstop test, and posting the URL here for assistance if you want further help with your issue.

kind regards,

tallin
Tallin, this is the first thing they tell me at the new "link" you gave me: Enter a valid name and e-mail, we will send your free codes (to unlock the software) to your inbox. Avoid using free email accounts. newbe17
Just ignore that instruction if you still want to install the software which is a most useful program. I have installed the program myself, and ignored the text as I pointed out in my previous advice to you……… I had no problems with it, try it, you will see it will work for you. kind regards,
Tallin, Fill-in the form below, click the Submit button, and then start to download the four 100% free software (Fresh Download, Fresh Diagnose, Fresh UI, and Fresh View). You see, they want my name and e-mail address so they can send me lots of e-mail. Plus I get 3 other programs downloaded onto my pc that I'm not the least bit interested in. I searched Fresh diagnose at major geeks and they hooked me up with a download of the fresh diagnose all by itself and no strings attached. newbe17
That does not happen, you only need download and install the Fresh Diagnose program that I recommended to you. You get the offer of the others, but do not need to dowload and install them. I have done it myself so I know in this case I am correct, but you do as you please. Are you going to do the PCPitstop test as I cannot help you further if you don't give more informaion re you specs and/or the result of your test with PCPitstop full test. kind regards,
Tallin, I have the fresh diagnose program up and running, but I need further instruction from you on how to find what it is you require, since there are so many different options. Thanks, newbe17
In the left pane
  • click on Memory
  • In the right pane you will see your RAM results
  • look at the top and click 'save'
  • name the file 'My PC RAM report'
  • save to your desktop.
Then open the saved file on your desktop, highlight it, copy and paste the results into your next post here.

For your own further information, you can click on any of the items in the left pane doing the same as I have suggested above.

However, I would like the PCPitstop full test to find out more about your system, how it is running so we can assist you further.

kind regards,
Tallin, thank you for the much needed instructions :) I will now go on to the next step at pc pitstop and get back to you as soon as I get the scan results ;) newbe17 :popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI