Hi folks,
I have no logs that I can post from OTL, DDS, or HJT, as I cannot run anything in Normal Mode. I am posting this topic in Safe Mode w/ Networking. Please let me know if I should run any of the aforementioned tools in Safe Mode.
I'm working on a laptop for a client, and I need the help of some seriously-knowledgable malware removal experts!
It's a Toshiba Satellite L645D running Win 7 x64. 3 GB of RAM.
My customer was not able to tell me when or why the problems started. All I know is he has some cool new wallpapers. lol
Within 30 seconds of logging on, the computer becomes extremely slow and you can't do much of anything. When you click and get a response, it's usually about 2 or 3 minutes after you click.
I was able to get into SafeMode and used Revo to uninstall a bunch of software that he said he wanted gone and didn't know how it got on there. One of them was that 24x7 Help thing that puts that lady with headphones in every window. I'm guessing that was probably a vehicle for whatever other nasty stuff is on this system.
I ran a MBAM scan yesterday and found 8 PUPs. That was on a Quick Scan. Then rebooted and ran a Full Scan. That didn't find anything. That was all run in Safe Mode. Unable to run Full Scan if not in Safe Mode.
I was able to run RKill and it stopped one process: "C:Users\%user%\AppData\Roaming\DefaultTab\DTUpdate.exe"
A couple of other weird things: TouchPad doesn't work at all. I get the following errors when I try to look at Mouse and Keyboard settings in Control Panel:
"An unexpected error occurred linking to the Mouse Control Panel. (0x80004005L)"
"An unexpected error occurred linking to the Keyboard Control Panel. (0x80004005L)"
When I scheduled a Chkdsk and rebooted, I received the following error:
"Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by some recently installed software.".. or it was something close to that.. it went away before I could write it down perfectly.
It says there are no restore points. He has no backups.
I have no idea what to do at this point, and I appreciate any help offered. Please let me know if you want my MBAM and RKill logs.
Thanks!!
James T.
My name is Satchfan and I would be glad to help you with your computer problem.
Please read the following guidelines which will help to make cleaning your machine easier:
please follow all instructions in the order posted
please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear
all logs/reports, etc. must be posted in Notepad. Please ensure that word wrap is unchecked. In Notepad click Format, uncheck Word wrap if it is checked
if you don't understand something, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification before proceeding
the fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
please reply within 3 days. If you do not reply within this period I will post a reminder but topics with no reply in 4 days will be closed!
IMPORTANT:
Please DO NOT install/uninstall any programs unless asked to.
Please DO NOT run any scans other than those requested
IMPORTANT: Please remove any usb or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!
Close all running programs.
Download RogueKiller to your desktop.
close all running programs
for Windows Vista/Seven, right click -> run as administrator, for XP simply double-click on RogueKiller.exe
when the pre-scan is finished, click on Scan
click on Report and copy/paste the content in your next post
NOTE: DO NOT attempt to remove anything that the scan detects –everything that is reported is not necessarily bad
If the program is blocked, continue to try it several times. If it still doesn’t work, (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe.
Please post the contents of the RKreport.txt in your next reply.
Hi Satchfan,
I appreciate your reply. But I was in a hurry to get help and thus posted in several forums. I went with the first one to reply, and I'll just stick with them unless and until they are unable to resolve my issue. I will be back here if that happens. Thanks!
James
Thank you for letting us know and I hope your problem gets sorted OK.
I'll close this now and if you need help again please start a new topic.
Regards
Satchfan