kurdyj00
Topic Starter
Hi,
I used the malware forum to check for viruses etc and seem to be clear. (see the lik below for the string). My wife's laptop still seems to run really slow and freezes up quite a bit. Her machine is an HP Pavillion dv6500 notebook running Vista home premium w/ service pack 2. The 140 GB harddrive has about 50 GB free. It seems as if the harddrive is whirling and clattering white a bit. SOmetimes when you're moving around a site and the small whirling circle is going the system freezes. If you click on "back" or "favorites" the screen goes foggy, as if the brightness or contast are adjusted to some extreme. When this happens it is unresponsive until it decides to start again.
Any help at identifying what could be amiss would be appreciated.
One quesition I have is: During my malware check, the whatthetech person recommended to only have one antivirus and firewall installed on a machine. I installed Norton Antivirus program and I know it has a firewall. Would it be helpful to uninstall the Windows firewall (or the Norton one)?
Here's the Whatthetech malware string.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…mp;#entry713394
Thanks in advance for any help,
Jeff
I used the malware forum to check for viruses etc and seem to be clear. (see the lik below for the string). My wife's laptop still seems to run really slow and freezes up quite a bit. Her machine is an HP Pavillion dv6500 notebook running Vista home premium w/ service pack 2. The 140 GB harddrive has about 50 GB free. It seems as if the harddrive is whirling and clattering white a bit. SOmetimes when you're moving around a site and the small whirling circle is going the system freezes. If you click on "back" or "favorites" the screen goes foggy, as if the brightness or contast are adjusted to some extreme. When this happens it is unresponsive until it decides to start again.
Any help at identifying what could be amiss would be appreciated.
One quesition I have is: During my malware check, the whatthetech person recommended to only have one antivirus and firewall installed on a machine. I installed Norton Antivirus program and I know it has a firewall. Would it be helpful to uninstall the Windows firewall (or the Norton one)?
Here's the Whatthetech malware string.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…mp;#entry713394
Thanks in advance for any help,
Jeff