This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Macrium reflect

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I used Macrium to create an image successfully.

Just like I did the image, I created  a clone successfully.

 

The clone consumed the drive including the image although there was plenty of room.

 

Should I conclude that you cannot put a clone and an image on the same drive? 

 

In your opinion is it better to have the clone in case of hardware failure or the image to save your system in case of software issues.

TY

Image and Clone are for two different purposes.

 

Image is to restore the system to an existing drive in most cases though restoring to a new drive works well also.

 

Clone is basically for swapping out a defective drive and replacing it with the clone. No restore required. If I were to clone a drive I would use the same size drive as the original.

I had never cloned  before but I've used Macrium imaging many, many times successfully. I didn't realize that when you clone a drive it consumes the entire destination drive therefore wiping out the any images or anything on that drive. 

It seems you would need a separate drive for a clone or at least partition a large drive.

I have images on 2 drives and a clone on a third.

TY

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI