This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Virtual XP problem loading auto-run CD

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi. :pullhair: I have a laptop with Linux OS and I need to load a raft of software to the virtual C Drive of an XP environment. (KVM) I have successfully loaded Maximo, Access Runtime and Maximo Patches from CD without too much trouble. The problem is that to complete the install I need to install Oracle. The Oracle CD I have is an auto run CD and always launches in the host operating system and I can;t work out how to access the CD Drive from the virtual environment. I am a complete beginner with Linux but know my way round windows a bit. cheers Eric
how you getting on with this problem? never used kvm only virtualbox before so not sure i'll be able to help you. from your post it sounds like you have been able to install things into your virtual xp machine from the cd drive but can't only with the oracle cd. this may be because the oracle cd causes the linux operating system to mount the drive thus tying it up so the virtual os can't access the drive/cd so the only thing i can think of and my one and only suggestion, is to insert the cd then in whatever linux os your using to unmount the cd drive, then go into the virtual xp os and now see if it will access the drive/cd so you can install what you want/need. :popcorn:
Aw thanks for the reply, I have been meaning to report back but have had a hectic week. I have managed to install Oracle but I couldn't crack the CD Autorun problem. It is as you say,because the CD Auto Runs in the hos,t the guest OS doesn't get a look in. What I did was copy it to the desk top and then access via the shared Linux folder on the virtual desktop. I hadn't noticed what this folder was before so I did kick myself a lot. I would still love to know if there is a setting or preference in Linux that would prevent the autorun from executing and leave the CD player accessible to the Guest OS. It seems that with non autorun CDs it is first come first served. Thanks, Eric
Thanks, I.ll experiment. I don't think I am using Ubuntu, I have seen it mentioned but I don't Know what it is. The Linux platform I am using is an IBM employee's issue, Iam a contractor there, but not in the IT Field!
seeing how it's work related, i think i'd get hold of one of the tech's contact numbers from your employer and ask, they'll probably be able to give you the answer in 30 seconds. :D :popcorn:

seeing how it's work related, i think i'd get hold of one of the tech's contact numbers from your employer and ask,
they'll probably be able to give you the answer in 30 seconds. :D

:popcorn:


Ha ha, as long as you don't mind phoning Bangalore! :)
true. :D if you haven't found the setting yet to stop the auto mount/play then you might want to try this. i think in linux now the first cd/dvd drive is /dev/sr0 so you could try using the umount command in a terminal and see if that works. you'll probably need to be root, depending on the linux os you'd either type su and enter the root password when asked, followed by typing in this command umount /dev/sr0 or just typing in the command sudo umount /dev/sr0 and then enter the root password when asked to unmount the drive so it can then be used by your virtual os. :popcorn:
Thanks, I will have a go. I am not feeling the love of Linux yet, IBM only lets us install Symphony on the Linux platform so I have Office on the VM but if I try and email Office attachments, Notes converts it to Symphony and a lot of people think they can't open it (They can really because they all have Symphony and Office, they just don't use it or want it (I wonder why?)). Scrub that, as long as I don't open them in Notes they remain as Office and I can move them in and out of the guest OS to edit them. nearly there! I do like the wobbly, sticky windows and the cube workspace etc and solving all the problems is a lot more fun than doing my normal work! :D

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI