This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Black Screen and Beeping Computer

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer shut down and won't turn back on. When I got o turn it on, it's a black screen and it beeps. It beeps seven times and stops. Any idea what this could be? Thanks in advance for any help!
From that info it doesn't look good, all the results I saw in a search say CPU and\or motherboard, the most common reference is to a Dell Inspiron M5030, if you have this then it appears you have a serious issue, but knowing the BIOS maker (make\model of system as well) will help us narrow down the codes, when you power on watch the screen, and for a brief moment it will give that info, each maker has different codes, so knowing who to look for helps narrow down what the codes may mean, the info I found was from just a 7 beep search, but knowing a maker will tell us where to look more closely. The biggest question is how old is this system ? I am hoping you are still under warranty, if so then that's the way to go, if not then it's a case of seeing what we can confirm before suggesting the options available.
Yep, it's a Dell Inspiron. Not under warranty, and it's about 2 years old. How would I find out what it is and if it can be fixed?
Well I hate to say it but you will probably have to take it to somewhere capable of sorting it, but is your Dell the same model as I mentioned (M5030) ? Such info is usually on a sticker underneath it. The biggest issue you face is access, and spare parts, very few people have such spares around to test, and even if you did you would need to completely strip the system down, which can be tricky on laptops, and once stripped you can visually look for signs of scorching or anything else that isn't as it should be. My best advice is to contact Dell in the first instance, give them the make\model of your system, also give them the serial number and Tag code, all this info should be on the sticker underneath it, and tell them the beeps you mention and issue as you know it, the reason I say this is because it's looking like it's a known issue, the specific info I've suggested giving them will help them see if it was one of a bad batch that went out, and my greatest hope is they will do the right thing by you, because being a known issue (assuming yours is) like that many say they should of put out a recall notice to rectify the issue, but I don't know where you stand with them, but I hope they help. Failing that then it's a local repair place, but be aware, a pretty shop front doesn't make them a good shop, try and research them before going there, word of mouth is usually worth it's weight in gold at these times, see if friends know of a reliable place, next make a clear agreement as to cost, you do not want any nasty surprises come time to pay, but be aware, it will be very hard for them to give a price until they get so far in, because until they can see what's wrong, they wont know what's involved, but if it's a common issue they can quote you worst case scenarios, but until they do most of the work, they just wont know for 100% if anything else may of complicated things. So look at how much a comparable system would cost you, and use that as a guide, because you "could" be better off just replacing it, taking it as an opportunity to upgrade maybe, just a thought, but by knowing what it's replacement would cost, you will be able to gage if a repair is worth the money, I would explain as such to a repair place, and hopefully they will be able to say $x amount for an estimate, and if you proceed with the price it then falls within that price, and you only pay the estimate if the repair is too much, it goes against the grain a bit for me, but in all fairness you can't expect someone to put a price on the unknown, neither would it be fair to let them do so much work to turn down the quote, as that's time they can't get back, sorry I don't have better advice, but from what you have said I fear it's your only option, hope you get a result anyway, good luck.
I hope that your problem has been solved. I want add some more info about beeps. No Beeps No Power, Loose Card, or Short. 1 Short Beep Normal POST, computer is ok. 2 Short Beep POST error, review screen for error code. Continuous Beep No Power, Loose Card, or Short. Repeating Short Beep No Power, Loose Card, or Short. One Long and one Short Beep Motherboard issue. One Long and Two Short Beeps Video (Mono/CGA Display Circuitry) issue. One Long and Three Short Beeps. Video (EGA) Display Circuitry. Three Long Beeps Keyboard or Keyboard card error. One Beep, Blank or Incorrect Display Video Display Circuitry.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI