When Acronis did not recognize my license and requires a new one for 2013, I now use Macrium Reflect free as my primary backup and the Windows native imaging program as a backup.
A friend told me about this unheard of program and was inquiring about its integrity.
Apparently it is not good.
Hi Peter,
Because Acronis license is tied to use-on-one-computer, it may not allow you to install it on a second computer.
That feature of license being tied to one computer "may" only kick in and cause problems if/when you allow Acronis to register and check for updates.
If you have abandoned one computer and moved on to use on a new computer, you can contact Acronis to request the licensing to be changed.
I have several licenses of Acronis products beginning back in 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
Acronis has "worked with me" regarding the use of any particular license.
Have you called them to resolve the matter?
Acronis 2012 doesn't work on Windows 8 anyway, so you need to upgrade to 2013. The (Acronis_ said they would release an update to so it will run on Windows 8 but don't hold your breath. Their track record is horrible for updates.
Thanks Ztruker.
Of course I knew that.
I even purchased a license for 2013 in anticipation.
But then uninstalled Win8 rtm and went back to Win7 and don't yet have any local Win8 customers.
I'll get around to installing Win8 from having purchased a Win7 for my Son in December, and getting the Win8 upgrade discount.
Just so I am clear, the Acronis that used to wok on my desktop, which I tried with Win 8 should not have worked as you need to buy 2013 and I have 2010?
Macrium is on both pcs as primary and Win native is secondary.
The only reason I keep buying from them is there is no other backup software I've found that comes anywhere near Acronis.
R- I have imaged with Macrium then recovered. It is so much faster than Acronis I used for many years.
Try the free one and you won't believe the speed.
I hope you get to see the "Refresh" option I posted to perhaps save you some work.
Thanks Peter, I did see your post. I responded there.
I use Macrium on my other Win 7 system (Web Server) but speed is not important since I rarely login there to do anything. It runs once a week and does a full backup each time. I rotate 4 weeks worth with a little front end program I wrote.
Thanks Peter, I did see your post. I responded there.
I use Macrium on my other Win 7 system (Web Server) but speed is not important since I rarely login there to do anything. It runs once a week and does a full backup each time. I rotate 4 weeks worth with a little front end program I wrote.
>Yes, you have need for the features the free Macrium does not have. Acronis never failed me either.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI