This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Startup repair issue.

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I don't know if this is the right place to post this or if this is even something someone can help me out with but My Toshiba laptop computer had an issue where it was freezing once and a while while I was on the internet. Finally, it blue screened and the computer went black. Now when I startup I have two options, Start system normally or system repair. When I choose system normally it has the windows loading screen then does nothing and reboots contuinuisly. When I choose Startup repair it says "windows is loading files" then it goes black and nothing ever happens. I downloaded the avg rescue disc, burnt it and tried to boot it on the computer and all that was showing up was a "_" on a black screen. I used their free support and was told that was a clear indication of the corruption of an operating system file. I would be happy to restore it to factory defaults but I don't know if I even can at this point. Any help would be appreciated, also sorry if this isn't the right spot andTHANK YOU!! Pat
Hi Pat and welcome to the WTT forums. Sorry to hear about the problems with your laptop computer. If you tell us the exact model and number of yourToshiba computer it will help as there have been many different Toshiba laptops made over the years ….( I had one in my workshop a while ago that was 20 years old…. its working well now!) We should then be able to advise the next steps. When replying please let us know if you can boot into safe mode…. tap the F8 key on your keyboard once per second beginning immediately after pushing the "power on button" Regards paws
Hi Pat, OK Thanks for the info on the model number. The response you got from AVG was "curious"…. if you were using the disc I think you were using….. then it should operate via Linux and does not need any Windows operating system files at all to run….( having said that I also think you have corrupted Windows system files) The purpose of the Linux OS is to be able to run applications when the Windows operating system is entirely missing or just badly damaged….. Next steps Try this: 1 Shut down your computer if its on, by pressing Alt+Ctrl+del (all at the same time) twice… then hold down the power on button for 30 seconds…. wait for 1 minute. 2 push your power on button and hold on for 1 second only….. then start tapping F8 once per second …you should get something like this: The Windows® Advanced Boot Options menu : options: ❖ Repair Your Computer ❖ Safe Mode ❖ Safe Mode with Networking ❖ Safe Mode with Command Prompt ❖ Enable Boot Logging ❖ Enable low-resolution video (640x480) ❖ Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) ❖ Directory Services Restore Mode ❖ Debugging Mode ❖ Disable automatic restart on system failure ❖ Disable Driver Signature Enforcement ❖ Start Windows 3 Let me know if this screen does not appear….and any variations on it please 4 Did you make recovery discs?. 5 Do you have a Win 7 installation disc? 6 Did you make a disc image when your machine was running fast and sweet? and have you kept an extra copy on removable media offsite? 7 Is your computer still under warranty/guarantee/ covered under a service agreement? Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI