Start, devises and printers then right click the pc[device installation settings] and the default is to let Windows select drivers for the pc. Do you keep the default or change it? I thought you were supposed to get them from the manufacturer.
If Win 7 recognizes the printer and loads the driver and it works, I'd keep it since installing the manufacturers CD also brings with it a host of useless crapware.
Just my $.02 worth.
I thought you were supposed to get them from the manufacturer.
You should. But that is where Microsoft gets them. However, the drivers included with Windows often do not support the advanced features of some printing devices - in particular, some AiO (all in one) devices such as printer/fax/scanner/copier "multi-function" devices. So if the included drivers do not include all the features your printing device supports, you may need to install the full feature-set driver from the maker.
BUT - this is where you need to heed Rich's advice. The printer makers are notorious for installing (foisting?) all sorts of extra junk… err, "features" you don't need on your system. For example. I have a nice HP 6500 AiO and Windows 7 has all the necessary drivers to support the integrated devices. But the scanner portion does not include HP's scanner software.
No problem! I can simply log into the HP's internal menu system with my browser and scan to my heart's content. Of course, if you printer does not have a browser accessible menu (for a non-networked device) you may have no choice. In that event, ENSURE you choose the "Custom" install options to only install the features (extras) you want.
The good news is, the printer makers are getting better at standardizing their printing protocols (at least across models of the same brand) so this makes it easier for W7 and now W8 to include drivers for many many printers.
And the good news is, Windows Update can keep those drivers updated too - without foisting any junk on you.
I too have an HP OfficeJet 6500 which runs beautifully in network. It does give you a chance to custom install. I do not know if I should allow HP updates or not.
However,when you go to devices and printers, right click the pc, and choose device installation settings, the default does not give you a choice to use the manufacture's drivers unles you initiate the process. I was taught not to update drivers if there is no trouble..
It says, Allow MS to install the drivers from MS when the default ids left checked.
Do you uncheck this or not?
I think I am better off keeping it checked.
Is something telling you your drivers are out of date? Does your 6500 work correctly now?
I was taught not to update drivers if there is no trouble..
And I agree 100%. Drivers don't just go bad. Therefore, new drivers don't necessarily fix things, or are necessary. In fact, most updated drivers fix some little thing that 3 out of 10,000 users might experience if they do something no one ever did before. Are you sure it says "Install"? Or does it say "Check" Microsoft's site for new drivers?
Do you have Windows Update set to automatically install?
I set Windows update to notify me before downloading and installing.
I was pointing out that 'device installation settings', by default, is set to install Windows drivers automatically
and wanted to know if most of you have it set this way too.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI