This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Computer start-up problems

26 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I'm posting from my laptop – I can't get into my desktop. Every time I turn it on, it goes to the Windows Error Recovery black page with the options of either 1) launching startup repair (which I've tried but can't get past) or 2) to start Windows normally - and then it won't. Scans always are clean but it had been acting strange. Now we can not get on at all. I would really appreciate some help. Thank you! Jenney
Hi Jenney, It sounds like your computer is experiencing hardware faults. I will now move this thread to the appropriate section for better support. I think you might have a dead HDD that needs replacement.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions
I can't get onto that computer – am I supposed to do that from this computer ( a different one)? I don't know the type of hard drive. How would I find that out? Thanks for your help –
Since you don't know the type you can either open the system up and look for the manufacturer tag on it or you can get the Seagate SeaTools DOS CD ISO. It will be the most compatible. Yes download it on the system you are using to reply to me and burn it using the instructions for ImgBurn. Then take it to your bad system and put the cd in. If your boot order is setup right it should boot right to the newly created cd. If not then I can supply the instructions to set your boot sequence up correctly.
It's a SATA, but when I open this (below), I'm not sure what to do (when I click on the download at the bottom, I can't see where to go) - then I tried the seagate seatools but it said page not found. Windows Diagnostic Tool Ver. 1.12 (For IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives) This diagnostic tool is available for use by customers who feel their Fujitsu Branded Toshiba hard drive may not be operating normally. It is only designed for use with Fujitsu Branded Toshiba ATA/IDE hard drives. There are 2 diagnostic modes: Quick Test About 3 minutes, does random seek/read tests. Comprehensive Test About 30 to 100 minutes, also performs surface scan. *Supports Windows 2000/XP/Vista - Download and Additional Information
Go HERE post 2 you will see the link to download the Seatools dos cd iso.
Click that and you should be able to get the file.
OK then you need to check to make sure the boot sequence is set to boot to the cdrom first.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the HD Diagnostic cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will not have to do anything because the system will boot directly to the cd. :
I followed your instructions and under Advanced BIOS and the CD-Rom boot priority that was the only thing there.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI