This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Funmoods redirect virus [Closed]

23 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Erm, embarrassingly it appeared when I was blindly following advice for someone else after googling my PC problems :( (which is how I came across What The Tech?). After following post 9 in the link given in my first post - where the user is told to run an MBRCheck (hers was fine) - my scan informed me that there was something malicious (red writing etc). …I then ended up downloading aswMBR from somewhere and ran that. After that scan indicated issues too, I clicked on 'Fix Mbr'. I was then given a list of options - none of which seemed to work. I think I tried every one of them (some more than once….in my defence it was about 4 in the morning!) and one of the options, I think, was 'disc dump'. I selected that….and that's how I ended up with the offending file (I'm afraid I tried 'disc dump' 2 or 3 times and have similar files on my desktop). I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I am a fool. Jen.
Forgot to say, I got a notification from McAfee about an hour a go saying that it had detected and quarantined a 'potentially unwanted program' - Threat name : Tool-NirCmd. Thought I better let you know. Thanks Jen

Tool-NirCmd.

That is actually ok.
——–

Ok great. The file that we are seeing on your Desktop is the MBR dump done by aswMBR and that is fine as well.
Would it be ok to just delete that disc dump file then?? Do you have any advice about the audio problems? It's fine if not. I'm very grateful to have gotten this far - I thought the system was almost beyond repair. I am getting some sound at the moment anyway…..just as long as I dont try to take it off Sigmatel. Thanks, Jen.
Hi Jen,

Yes you can just go ahead and delete that.

As for the audio problems I think you are having issues other than malware. Sigmatel Audio seems to come pre-installed on Dell systems from what I have read in places. I think for this you would be better served posting a new topic in the General Hardware forum found here.

When you post the new topic be sure to let them know what the problem is and also post a link to here so that they can see what we have done. The techs there are fantastic and you will certainly be in good hands. If they are not able to find any problems come back here and we can dig deeper to see what we can find. If they are able to fix you up, come back here when done and we will remove our tools and get you on your way. :)
Ok, will do. Thanks so much for all your help. I really appreciate it. My McAfee subscription runs out in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if you would recommend me another virus guard…..or is McAfee Total Protection as good as any really?? Jen.

My McAfee subscription runs out in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if you would recommend me another virus guard…..or is McAfee Total Protection as good as any really??

I would always recommend one of the following…I myself use Avast and love it but have used Microsoft Security Essentials and that is good too. Plus they are free. :)

Avast
Microsoft Security Essentials

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI