This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

undelete from NAS network drive possible?

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm an idiot. I spent hours moving/organizing files on my network storage drive. I was getting tired, and thought I was deleting an epmty folder but it was my new folder with 400 files. ( :pullhair: I tried Recuva but it can't see my network drive. None of the free softwares seem to have that capability, and there is no other way to connect the drive except through the router. Any ideas? I have limited money; I don't think I can afford Network Undelete.
Hi suzannaski,

You won't find any free programs to recover those files, as a NAS drive is not controlled or connected to your OS but has it's own. Any file recovery program will not recognize the drive.

The problem with network drives (almost all) is that there is no recycle bin, which is a really silly design failure.
When you delete a file or folder accidentally it can be a disaster!

Because Windows doesn't do the deleting, the file won't show up in Windows' recycle bin. It's possible that the NAS operating system has its own recycle bin (perhaps with a different name), but you can't access it through the familiar desktop icon. Check your NAS drive's manual to find out if they offer something like this and how to access it.


Have a read here.

It's always a wise move to install a Network Drive recycle bin replacement such as "undelete" or similar before installing any files on it.

Cheers,
Lee
Apparently, my Iomega 250GB network storage drive is too old to even be recognized on the Iomega website. It won't recognize my serial number, or I get the wrong device when I omit the zero at the start of the serial number because there are too many digits in the serial number. I think at this point my best bet is to buy a new USB drive and move the remaining data onto it, and have a memorial service for the lost data. I'm glad it wasn't worse. The link you gave me was very informative. I wonder why I couldn't find that page when I was searching for answers. Thank you very much for your help. ps- was the forum server down for a day or two? I kept getting error messages.

I think at this point my best bet is to buy a new USB drive and move the remaining data onto it, and have a memorial service for the lost data


I'm sorry for your loss, but there is an upside. I'm sure that any further files you add to the NAS drive from now on, will be backed-up first! :)

Cheers,
Lee
Hi Terry, Yes, there is a Linux recovery possibility, but not all NAS drive systems use standard Linux File Systems. Would be worth a shot though if all activity on the drive is or has been STOPPED and especially if the files that were deleted have real value other than just the time invested in putting them on the drive. That might be (replaceable) movies or music etc. If that was the case I'd just take the lesson and move on. Cheers, Lee
?? not sure why you think it needs to be a linux file system.

Photorec ignores the file system, this way it works even if the file system is severely damaged.
It can recover lost files at least from

FAT
NTFS
exFAT
ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem
HFS+

ReiserFS includes some special optimizations centered around tails, a name for files and end portions of files that are smaller than a filesystem block. In order to increase performance, ReiserFS is able to store files inside the b*tree leaf nodes themselves, rather than storing the data somewhere else on the disk and pointing to it. Unfortunately, PhotoRec isn't able to deal with this - that's why it doesn't work well with ReiserFS.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

TestDisk can find lost partitions for all of these file systems:

BeFS ( BeOS )
BSD disklabel ( FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD )
CramFS, Compressed File System
DOS/Windows FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32
XBox FATX
Windows exFAT
HFS, HFS+ and HFSX, Hierarchical File System
JFS, IBM's Journaled File System
Linux btrfs
Linux ext2, ext3 and ext4
Linux GFS2
Linux LUKS encrypted partition
Linux RAID md 0.9/1.0/1.1/1.2
RAID 1: mirroring
RAID 4: striped array with parity device
RAID 5: striped array with distributed parity information
RAID 6: striped array with distributed dual redundancy information
Linux Swap (versions 1 and 2)
LVM and LVM2, Linux Logical Volume Manager
Mac partition map
Novell Storage Services NSS
NTFS ( Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 )
ReiserFS 3.5, 3.6 and 4
Sun Solaris i386 disklabel
Unix File System UFS and UFS2 (Sun/BSD/…)
XFS, SGI's Journaled File System
Wii WBFS
Sun ZFS

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

:popcorn:

glad you found a solution that worked for you but for a solution you don't need to pay for then photorec is still what i'd recommend to try first, no idea why you couldn't get it to work for you but here is a guide i found that may help anyone else who may have the same problem. :-  http://qnapsupport.net/?page_id=588

 

:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI