I run a windows XP home edition computer and I am not able to get any sound from it.
I know very little about computers and I have no clue where to begin or how to fix this. If anyone can please let me know what information I should provide to help you help me. I would greatly appreciate your assistance.
When did the sound stop working? Has it ever worked? What kind of computer do you have? Model? Have you tried a different set of speakers, or inspected which jack you have plugged them into? Is there a speaker icon near the system clock? Have you confirmed the volume is up and the speakers are not muted? Has the computer been reloaded, or restored to original condition or operating system reinstalled?
I recently traded an old apple computer for this one and since I have received it the sound has not worked when plugged into different speakers. There is no sound icon in my dock and I haven't been able to rectify that by using the control panel to place it there. The volume is up and the speakers aren't muted. The computer has not been reloaded, restored or reinstalled. I asked the previous owner.
My computer- Version 2002 microsoft windows xp
Intel®
Pentium® 4 cpu 2.80 GHz with 3GB of ram.
Whenever I boot it the computer tries to install hardware called multimedia audio controller but it wont let me.
I test direct sound in DxDiag sound 1 and it fails at step 3
I test direct sound in DxDiag sound 2 and it fails at step 6
I use a unimodem half duplex audio device and the drivers are updated.
I'm taking it your system is NOT a name brand machine with a clearly defined model #?
It sounds like the sound driver is not loaded - thats the multimedia audio device you need drivers for. The modem is something completely different.
Lets run a PCPitStop test and see if we can figure out what you have.
How to run PCPitStop's Overdrive tests:
Please click here to go to the PCPitStop Overdrive sign-up page: Signup at PCPitStop (You need to use Internet Explorer with this test so that an ActiveX control can be installed.)
Click "Create a free account"
Enter in your relevant information on the sign-up page. You must sign-up in order to have your results recorded so that we can take a look at them here.
After signing up you'll see the "Registration Complete" page, and you can click "Test Your System Now" to return to the test page.
Login with your newly created e-mail address and password on the left hand side.
Follow the directions to "Scan this system now." An activeX control will need to be installed. It is safe, and you should allow it to be installed.
Once the tests have been run, you will see an "Almost there" page requesting further information about your computer and your experience with PCPitStop, just scroll down to the bottom and click "GO."
A test results page will display, and I need the link to that page.
Look in the address bar of your browser. It will look like 'http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/…' Please copy and paste that here to the forum.
Note: PCPitStop may recommend that you use certain utilities to fix problems on your computer. At WhatTheTech, the help we provide is free. We do not endorse or recommend the use of any products PCPitStop may suggest. Instead, we prefer to help you with each issue manually without using possible pay to use programs.