This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

No sound Window's XP

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello WTT, I come to notice today when I logged into my comp my sound wasn't working, I tried applications with sounds, going on youtube nothing sound completely stopped working, I tried System Restoring, rebooting etc still no sound, I have no idea what has caused this, my brother said the sound had stopped working last night or so, I really don't wanna have to reformat my computer Hope you guys can help THANK YOU
first things to check is the connection/power to the speakers and the connection from the speakers to the pc, is it in the correct place?, if possible check the speakers on a different device, if they work fine. then check nothings muted, maybe create another user account and see if you get sound on the new user account. if still no sound then i can't think of anything else to try, you've said you've uninstalled the device and did a reboot and that didn't fix the problem. :popcorn:

first things to check is the connection/power to the speakers and the connection from the speakers to the pc, is it in the correct place?, if possible check the speakers on a different device, if they work fine.

then check nothings muted, maybe create another user account and see if you get sound on the new user account.

if still no sound then i can't think of anything else to try, you've said you've uninstalled the device and did a reboot and that didn't fix the problem.

:popcorn:


There built in speakers to my comp, and tried creating a new user with no luck :smack: still not working
so it's a laptop? can you post the make and model, and i'll see if i can find anything that may help you more.

and tried creating a new user with no luck


you couldn't create a new user account? or you created a new user account and it made no difference, sound still didn't work?

:popcorn:

so it's a laptop? can you post the make and model, and i'll see if i can find anything that may help you more.

and tried creating a new user with no luck


you couldn't create a new user account? or you created a new user account and it made no difference, sound still didn't work?

:popcorn:


Nope it's a Desktop, I created a new user account and sound still didn't work, also tried 2 other user accounts on the comp still no sound :smack: , where could I find my make and model at ?

Nope it's a Desktop

so the speakers are built into the monitor? check the leads from the monitor to the pc, make sure they are connected correctly.
try connecting another device to the speaker cable into the monitor and see if you get any sounds from the speakers when the monitor is on.

if you still don't get any sounds from the speakers, then it might be a hardware failure, if so there's nothing you can do except take the monitor to be repaired.

where could I find my make and model at

either on a sticker somewhere on your pc or maybe the users manual that came with the pc.

:popcorn:
:smack: No the speakers are not in my monitor there actually INSIDE my desktop lol I know its weird, sound comes out of the front of the desktop, not from the monitor
ok, never seen a desktop like that, so no easy way to check the speakers then and i'm sorry to say i'm out of ideas. :popcorn: do you have headphones you can plug into the pc to test if it is actually outputting sounds and it's just the speakers that are not working?
My speaker jack is messed up, can't use head phone/ other speakers, uhh the sound was working perfectly fine ( talking in past tense still hasn't been sound since I made thread )then just stopped, it could be something that was downloaded
what do you mean by your "speaker jack is messed up"?

it's physically broken or no sound comes out when you plug in headphones/speakers?

if you think something was downloaded and broke your sound use the system restore feature of your os and restore to a date when the sound worked.

:popcorn:

what is system restore :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows…-System-Restore

windows xp system restore :- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

vista/win 7 system restore :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows…/system-restore
… I tried system restoring check my first post I also tried the sound jack in the back of my comp that ones working still no sound when I plugin speakers/Headphones :smack:
Andrew, can you provide the make and model number of the computer please? I also have never heard of or seen a Desktop computer with speakers built into the computer. Maybe with that info we can do some more work on fixing it.

Andrew, can you provide the make and model number of the computer please? I also have never heard of or seen a Desktop computer with speakers built into the computer. Maybe with that info we can do some more work on fixing it.

hp compaq dx7500 small form factor

is that it ?

http://www.scts.co.th/catalog/images/HP-Co…-dx7500-sff.jpg

that looks like my comp I googled the above compaq thing
This is you computer for sure: HP Compaq dx7500 Small Form Factor PC

Shows you have a single internal speaker. Also shows where on the system board the speaker connects (lower left). Check and make sure it did not come loose or is not fully seated.

The computer also has an external audio port so try a set of external speakers, see if they work.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI