This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

missing iertutil.dll for windows xp home ed

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi My laptop gives me an error on startup that the iertutil.dll is missing or corrupted, and then my desktop come up with the background only. I searched on MS windows help, and it said to look for the file using task manager in c:\windows\system32 or c:\windows\system32\dllcache. I did that, but the file isn't there. (Yes, I can see hidden and system files) I checked my other XP computer that is running fine, and I can't find those files on the working computer either. My thought was to copy the working dll file over to the non-working computer via task manager. Help please! Thanks, Suzanna
Hi Thanks for deleting the duplicate post. Yes, I read through those directions before posting here. The file is not in the recycle bin, and the program that causes the error message is explorer.exe. Anything that I try to run through task manager freezes up with the same error message, even task manager. I tried to run the original installation disk but that also freezes up with the error message. I've heard that part of the problem is that xp was released before the courts said MS had to separate IE and Windows, and that is why the ie dll file is used for everything. Can I download a new IE installation exe and try installing it to fix the corrupted file? Also, I'm curious why I can't find the iertutil.dll on the working computer. Any ideas?
Thank you!! As soon as I get my laptop back I'm going to try that. I brought it to a repair guy (thinking he'd have the dll file), who said that the registry is all screwed up and he wants to wipe the hard drive and reinstall xp. Which means I lose all my software, etc. This is after he tried to talk me into getting a new computer. All I want is the one I have to be working again. I'm picking it up, unfixed, and then I'm going to go back to trying to fix it with your zip file, and worst case, download whatever data I can from the drive to my storage. I'll post an update tonight.
Got it copied, now new error msg "The ordinal 173 could not be located in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll" I clicked OK to get rid of the message. Still only get my desktop background. This "ordinal" message is now popping up instead of the earlier error message. I am not able to access my LAN at this point, and can only copy files using CD-R. (Not RW)
Terry, you genius expert! That done fixed it good. :) My brother (he's a MS tech) told me to reinstall IE 8, but he didn't explain how. Copying the correct dll file to c:\windows\system32\ and then restarting caused it to reinstall IE8. I am so grateful to all of you. :notworthy: D'ya think I should call the repair guy and let him know what the fix was? I am gonna have a pro give it a tune up, though, cuz it's pretty slow now. It may be because I tried going to last known good version, who knows. Wow. I feel like I just won the lottery. I can't thank you enough!!!

Terry, you genius expert!

me? :rofl:
wasn't really my idea. ;)
Ztruker, suggested it first here:-

Alternatively, you can try downloading and installing Internet Explorer 8.

but you must of missed it, different link agreed but same result, re-installing ie8.
thanks for the thought tho, made my day. :thumbup:

D'ya think I should call the repair guy and let him know what the fix was?

nope, why waste a dime. :D

I am gonna have a pro give it a tune up, though, cuz it's pretty slow now. It may be because I tried going to last known good version,

again why waste a dime, i'm sure our experts here could sort out the slow running and if not then see the pro.

first thing to do i think is to follow Ztruker instructions below on how to run and post a pcpitstop test, that way we can see exactly whats running on your machine that maybe causing problems.

Please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here: PCPitstop Full Tests

You must use Internet Explorer as it needs to install an ActiveX program.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"

If you haven't already registered, Click - Sign up now! (left hand column in User Login)

Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.

Once you have your Results, please post the URL (the http:// stuff) back here into this thread for review.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users, please close your instance of IE "Running as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.

If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.

Since this site is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.

:popcorn:
Hi Sorry! I've been away (my dad is handicapped, so I have to put lots of projects on hold). No, the "installing IE 8" instructions didn't help me because my computer would look for the missing dll file in order to run the install. By copying only the missing dll file to the correct location by using task manager, it was then able to install. It could have been something I was doing wrong whilst trying to install IE 8, I dunno, but that didn't work. As for the computer cleanup, the "pro" is a neighbor who does it for fun, it only cost me a jar of homemade strawberry jam. But I thank you so much for your offer to help clean up the laptop. I will take you up on that as shortly. Thanks again. D'ya know, I still have my old "Tom Coyote" t-shirt? I guess its a collector's item now. ;)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI