This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Malwarebytes is stumped [Solved]

16 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

How shall we go about cleaning up old system restore points since one has an infection? Is it possible that I need to run a registry cleaner such as Eusing Free to clean up deadends? Thanks! JM
Hi,

Is it possible that I need to run a registry cleaner such as Eusing Free to clean up deadends?

I would never recommend using a registry cleaner of any type. They more often than not cause more harm than actually repairing.

When you uninstall ComboFix using the instructions that I provided, the old restore points will be removed and a new one will be created. :)
Hey Jeff, it's running much better now. I asked for Symantec support in getting the leftovers uninstalled. The removal tool essentially locked up because coreserviceshell was pulling about 60 to 80% of the CPU and Symantec's remote assistance took the rest. The tool couldn't get a toe in edgewise when I tried it unassisted. Finally threw out the baby with the bathwater and uninstalled Trend Micro and installed Avast. Computer is running much better. I will ask my friend if he wants to try the MVHosts to block ads. My question with it is always how to go back to default settings if it becomes to much a nuisance for getting coupons, etc. :D Thank you for your help in clean this computer up. -J Magoo

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI