This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Protecting Windows 7

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

good morning do you have a topic/forum that recommends how to protect a laptop running windows 7? i am aware of a very useful post that shows you how to disable anti virus software and firewalls is there such a post that recommends which anti virus and firewall software to use? thank you
Hi spencer b
an interesting question. If you take a look at a "solved" topic in the Virus and Spyware removal forum, and look at the malware fighters' last few posts there will often be a list of steps to take and links to suitable products…..
Here's an example:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…15&start=15

it's best to view a number of malware fighters closing posts as often they will differ slightly in certain respects.

In addition its always wise to cosider Tony Kleins wise words here:
http://www.geekstogo.com/how-did-i-get-inf…he-first-place/

Post back if you need any clarifications
Regards
paws

i am aware of a very useful post that shows you how to disable anti virus software and firewalls

A "useful" post? That sounds like a very dangerous post.

The key thing is to keep your computer updated, run a firewall, run a good anti-malware solution and remember the user is always the weakest link so the user must also avoid risky behavior.

Of course notebooks have a whole level of security they must deal with that PCs generally don't - notebooks can grow legs and disappear - with all your personal information and data with it. So "physical security" is paramount with portable devices. Use a good password and look into recover applications - see Six Security Apps to Help Recover a Stolen Notebook.
I have heard the W7 firewall is pretty good. Unlike the XP firewall, it has incoming and outgoing protection.

I have a new W7 laptop here I just finished setting up (configuring main programs and removing lots of bloat and junkware) for "easy, no hassle use" wishes of the client . I'm very hesitant to install a 3rd party firewall due to the pop-up "warnings" that no one understands anyway :lol:
i have removed the free AVG anti-virus that came with the laptop and installed MSE configured not to scan it's own files (reduces scan time), installed WinPatrol and talked the client into purchasing Malwarebytes Pro for it's live protection features. Along with the W7 firewall, that's about as hassle free as I can make things, as far as protection goes anyway.

I would have to put just about all 3rd party firewalls into the "hassle" category (especially Comodo) for inexperienced PC users. At least for the first few weeks of use while the firewall is the "learning" stage anyway.

The only alternative if I was to install a 3rd party firewall if really needed, would be Winpatrol PLUS (enables checking online exactly what it is that the program wants you to allow or block) as a program guard, Malwarebytes Pro, MSE and Online Armor (or any other) firewall with the HIPS features turned OFF!

Does anyone consider the W7 firewall not good enough?

Cheers,
Lee

Does anyone consider the W7 firewall not good enough?

I've been using it on all my systems since migrating to Win7 2 1/2 years ago - with no problem.

I have heard the W7 firewall is pretty good. Unlike the XP firewall, it has incoming and outgoing protection.

And in my opinion the XP firewall "was" just fine. Remember, if you to need outgoing protection, that means you failed to protect your incoming side as the malicious code got past you, the incoming firewall, and your anti-malware solution on the way in.

The biggest reason most users needed anything better than XP's firewall was ZoneAlarm's marketing weenies were pros at scaring users to death. And of course, the unbiased [cough cough, choke choke] IT media and their relentless MS bashing didn't help either. LIKE ALWAYS - if you the user kept your XP system patched, updated, scanned and blocked AND you avoided risky practices, XP's firewall worked just fine.

For the record, Windows 7's firewall is simple and effected. And it updates through Windows Update so no new interface to learn, or stupid service to have running. And you don't consume extra drive space - though in a world where 2Tb drives are becoming the norm, disk space is not the problem it used to be.

Also, I said above "was" just fine because XP is obsolete, antiquated, legacy, superseded and superseded again! Everyone should be on a modern OS and let XP go - or at least off the Internet. JMNSHO
Thanks for that tech heads-up Dig. :thumbup:

However, I'm sure your trouble free use of the W7 firewall is (possibly) trouble free due to your experienced status and knowing where to never tread. I'm not saying the program is not up to more difficult tasks that the inexperienced may put in it's path. Maybe, but maybe not (?)

I take the approach that every customer (regardless of what they say) is at some stage or the other, visiting uTorrent, maybe Warez and naturally the most popular sites in the world, porn sites; so I take a worst case scenario approach and load security programs accordingly :yeah:

Personalty, I don't use a live anti-virus program as I can't stand the things (not recommended for the average PC user). I just use the free open source Clamwin (which isn't live but is to my email), sensible browsing and the invaluable Malwarebytes Pro live protection and of course the ultimate system restore, a regularity updated OS image on a separate drive and back-up USB drive.

Cheers,
Lee

Maybe, but maybe not (?)

I think suggesting, implying or making innuendos something may not be up to the job just perpetuates unfounded rumors and bashings. In the technical "support" world we deal with facts. Sales and marketing deal with rumors and fluff. This is especially true with firewalls - which is about as basic a security program there is - which is why the Windows version works - and it is not full of fluff. I mean, it is not hard to block a port - virtually any firewall program can do that with aplomb.

I take the approach that every customer (regardless of what they say) is at some stage or the other, visiting uTorrent, maybe Warez and naturally the most popular sites in the world, porn sites; so I take a worst case scenario approach and load security programs accordingly

I think that is just a waste of resources, time, and potentially money. And it pigeon-holes everyone into one category - idiots.

And you are suggesting a 3rd party firewall will protect you from you better than Windows Firewall! If you keep your computer updated (of critical importance, use a decent security defense like MSE and Windows Firewall, you will be fine - unless you open the door and let the bad guys in. Visiting those sites does not mean you will automatically get infected. Participating in illegal activity on those site might - and that's opening the door and inviting them in. And if that was my game, I would have a separate computer for that.

It is important to stop and get out of the trenches and take a look around and see what is happening. There are 100s of millions of Windows users running Windows with full default settings with Windows Firewall, a simple free anti-malware solution and they are using torrents and visiting all sorts of sites they should not, and they are not infected. Why? Well, I am sure luck plays a part but also Windows Firewall and MSE work, and Windows Update, in default mode, keeps their systems updated. Regardless, if you download an infected file, then run it without scanning first, you are asking for it and no level of security will protect you from yourself.

I start simple. If simple, users will keep their systems (including their security) updated - and that's the key. If more layers don't add more protection, they are just wasting resources.

Personalty, I don't use a live anti-virus program.. …I use the invaluable Malwarebytes Pro live protection

I am often amazed how often I see this. It seems many just don't see that MBAM Pro IS a real-time anti-malware solution. If you mean you only run MBAM Pro on-demand (like the free version) and you really don't have a real-time scanner running, then I think you are playing Russian roulette with a loaded gun. If you live in a bad neighborhood and leave your front door open, that does not mean a badguy will come it. It just means you have made it easy for them if they happen to pass on by.

And sensible browsing? Sorry, that's Russian roulette with two loaded guns now. While using the most current, updated version of your preferred browser is paramount, they, alone cannot ensure a legitimatize, but hijacked site does not smuggle a little bad code past you. Having a real-time anti-malware solution [hopefully] would.

Finally, I am assuming you have absolute physical control over your computer and you are, and always will be the only user of that computer. If that is so, then "sensible browsing" is certainly a good discipline tool. But if any user less "security aware" than you might use that computer one day, then running without real-time protection is too much of a risk to take.

I am assuming you have absolute physical control over your computer and you are, and always will be the only user of that computer. If that is so, then "sensible browsing" is certainly a good discipline tool. But if any user less "security aware" than you might use that computer one day, then running without real-time protection is too much of a risk to take.


Nobody "might" use my computer one day, not even my wife who has her own that she built and maintains herself and a laptop for family or friends who stay here now and then.

So I guess as far as firewalls go and computers being infected is a 'pebcak' situation then and W7 firewall is fine. That is all I really wanted to know (my original query). I never 'assumed' the W7 firewall was no good but it is not that uncommon for PC owners to turn windows updates completly off (thus W7 firewall updates off) even when warned not to. I was only seeking professional opinion as media opinion I can find anywhere.

Cheers,
Lee

PS added info.

Well I did not install a 3rd party firewall into that client's Laptop, now that I have learned (that's why I'm in "Tech Class" and ask questions) that W7 updates through windows update, which I left on auto. and have no fear of him being able to change that setting.
I'm more worried about him thinking that his pre-payed broadband dongle ($150 a year X 10GB) is going to "last a whole year" when he watches live horse racing every day as that's mostly what he wants the laptop for, plus email.

I tried to explain that watching anything live will see that pre-payed $150 is going to end up costing him a heck of a lot more than that if he wants to remain connected, but i just couldn't explain the bits, bytes, kilo bytes, megabytes and gigabytes download angle. His eyes just glazed over and he remained convinced he would stay connected for a whole year for $150.

Anyway, I did teach him how to open and send an email, how to drag and drop and use right-click, so that's something positive achieved and I also scanned a photo of his four young grand-daughters and used it as a desktop background. He was overjoyed :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI